Getting back into model making...need some advice...

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Osuini

Getting back into model making...need some advice...

Post by Osuini »

Hello all. This is my first post on here. First off, I really enjoy this site and I am thankful we have a common place to share our interests. I plan on supporting the site as much as possible, purchasing from the SM store as much as I can. A little about me:

I have had an on again, off again relationship with model making since I was eight. My most recent endeavors involved Games Workshop models, and although they make great kits, I don't want to spend $70 on each model I buy. So, I have lots of experience with Acrylics here are my questions:

*What is the best primer to use over acrylics? I've used the Armory Spray Primers, but is Krylon just as good?

*I've read to apply decals you gloss, apply, gloss, then matt coat. What if I used Future floor wax in my initial application with acrylics?

*Considering purchasing the PL 1/1000 Klingon D-7 and lighting it with some LEDs, any advice?

I realize this is a long post. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Happy Building!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Quick question, why are you priming over paints? Usually primer is layer 1 and everything goes on after that.

Best primer, Gunze Mr. Color 1200 or 1000. Best primer over acrylics, I'd say Vallejo gray primer.

Do you mean, what if you paint with gloss paints? If so, no need for a gloss coat over gloss paints.
Abolish Alliteration
Osuini

Post by Osuini »

Thanks for the quick response. My mistake in the way I worded things. I am looking for a primer to go on before the paints.

Thanks!
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Osuini!

For primer, I like Krylon High Temp BBQ black spray paint in the large economy size rattle can. Really. It goes down smooth, sticks very well, doesn't hurt the styrene.

The D-7 is a good kit, simple to add lights - LEDs rather then incandescent bulbs. Check out the 'electronics' forum for info on that.

Oh, and WELCOME to the madness!
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Osuini

Post by Osuini »

Thanks! I will get some of that Krylon and try it out...also is it a good idea to use Future floor wax with my acrylics? I have some of the GamesWorkshop paints...I was thinking of mixing those with a 3 parts paint 1 part future as the coat above the primer.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Adding Future will increase the glossiness but dilute the color of your paints while increasing adhesion.
Abolish Alliteration
Osuini

Post by Osuini »

I hope I am not posting too much on this thread, but what would the general consensus be then:

1) Do not use future, prime, paint with acrylics, gloss coat, decals, gloss coat, then dull coat

OR

2) Use future, prime, acrylics (With future), gloss coat, then dull coat.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Prime (if you feel the need), color coats, gloss coat, decals, pin wash, matte coat, filters & weathering.

Generally....
Abolish Alliteration
Osuini

Post by Osuini »

Um...what's a pin wash?
ryoga

Post by ryoga »

Osuini wrote:Um...what's a pin wash?
Is that the same with paint wash?

Hi, same with Osuini, I myself am slowly getting back into the fine scale modelling madness. Used to just follow the instructions to the letter from the instruction sheet - no experience with weathering, modifying or accurizing any kits, but planning to get to that level soon.

This site is great. Its filled with tons of info
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Osuini wrote:Um...what's a pin wash?
viewtopic.php?t=15835
Abolish Alliteration