Dymo Tape

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Dymo Tape

Post by DeltaVee »

As a result of several testimonials, I went to an office store to get some Dymo tape. Had no idea people were talking about 'labelmaker' tape. But Dymo makes both 'plastic' tape and something that's not labeled as plastic or paper. Can anyone tell me the difference and which they are using for modeling? I would think it's the plastic. I think my main purpose will be for round/cylindrical objects. Thanks.
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

You're looking for the embossing labels, something like this...

Dymo Embossing Labels

The older tape is more rigid, but even the newer stuff works a champ.

Cheers,

JM
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks, is this the fairly stiff plastic or the sort of plasticy paper stuff? In any event, this is cheaper than the stuff I bought at a competing chain.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

It's the stiff plastic kind you want, the tape that creates a raised letter or number when you make a label, not the kind that just gets printed on. That's why it's called "embossing" tape.

Office Depot also sells a larger pack in different colors which is easier to spot.

-Rog
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks for the clarification. The plasticy paper stuff might be fine if you are careful, but for guiding a scriber or even a sharp pencil, the thick embossing tape sounds better. It sounds like the way to go on penciling panels on Trek ship secondary hulls and nacelles. Thanks.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can cut it into thinner strips, too. These can be bent into curves if you're careful.

Also be careful if you have a lot of surface correction, it can pull putty right off the plastic! Best to reduce the tack in those situations. Stick it to your hand and remove.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Good to know. Been reading about Dymo for a year or so, while beating myself up for a way to draw or scribe panel lines onto the Enterprise. Finally put the two together and now have a way forward on my Cutaway E.