Building and Attaching a Custom Stand

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Leif_G

Building and Attaching a Custom Stand

Post by Leif_G »

I've read a few comments that some people use a 'mic connector' built into their model to attach it to a stand. A custom stand is something I want to learn how to build and attach. I've tried to find some mic connectors, but our local electronics store salesperson didn't know what they were even.

I'm guess a mic connector is what plugs into the non-business end of a microphone, attaching it to the cable, and providing power. I'm also guessing that on a model, it not only allows the model to attach or detach from the stand, but that it also functions as a power conduit for lighting the model?

Does anyone have some close up pictures detailing how they build a mic connector into their model and stand?

Leif
naoto

Post by naoto »

Yep, that's what they're referring to. The plugs and sockets are available in either stereo or mono, and come in various sizes. I've seen these plugs and sockets available at stores like Radio Shack and similar stores. You should also be able to also find various power connectors of different types too (much like the ones you see for portable audio devices like audio-CD players -- basically look at the end that plugs into the device, not the "wall wart" side).
Last edited by naoto on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103454#

Basically pick spot on the model that will support the weight evenly. Drill a hole that is the size of your threaded connector and screw the nut down until tight. You may need to use a few washers (perhaps of different sizes to accomodate the curvature of your model, and to adjust how much the threaded portion sticks out below your model.

Hope this helps.

TazMan2000
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Also known as a 1/8 inch audio jack.
Abolish Alliteration
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Radio Shack audio connectors

274-251 in the model or model's base, 274-287 on the end of the stand rod or on the power adapter. If you're good at wiring, you can use 274-246 as the female end and wire in batteries so that plugging in the power adapter bypasses the batteries.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Leif_G »

Thanks guys! Up in Canada all of our Radio Shack stores became 'The Source' stores, and the one's I've been in aren't as well stocked with electronics as they used to be in the old days. That's where the guy told me he didn't know what a mic connector was. They don't have much. So I may need to buy online.

In another thread someone referred to using an 8 pin mic connector. I'm wondering if they meant a mic from a CB radio, like these ones.

I'll just have to give it a go and see what happens.

Leif