Photo-etch makers - a closely guarded secret?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Agent Orange

Photo-etch makers - a closely guarded secret?

Post by Agent Orange »

Hi

I'm thinking of getting some photoetch sets made up and thought I might as well sell them too - if i'm going to all the trouble to get everything researched etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for custom etch companies - or am I essentially asking for trade secrets?

I'm not fussed what country.

Thanks for any help!

cheers,

steve
"You Klingon Son, you killed my Bastard!"
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

I've never done it myself, but from what I've read it's pretty simple.

Check this out.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/fh_pe.htm

TazMan2000
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

You can make photoetched parts with some brass sheet, a Sharpie marker, and a couple of common chemicals. To get the kind of detail parts to use on models, it gets a little more complicated. There are companies out there that do commercial photo etching; http://www.photofabrication.com/ is one I just found on Google.

For the photoetched parts I sell, it makes better economic sense for me to make them myself since I usually only run about 20 to 30 copies of a given fret. I have no idea what the minimum order would be from these commercial etching companies, but it's probably in the hundreds.

Good luck in your endeavor!
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Are you going to draw your own art or have the company do it too? That can expensive if you have to farm is out vs doing it on your own.

Ken