Model Masters Metalizers - to prime or not to prime?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

simster

Model Masters Metalizers - to prime or not to prime?

Post by simster »

So, I've read both - always prime and then with the metalizers, no priming needed -

Whats the conssensus here?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Unfortunately there's no simple answer. Some metalisers looks better on a black primed surface, others don't need it.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

MM Metalizers are formulated to bond to bare polished styrene for the best effect, if you're shotting them over another paint then that paint has to be smooth and shiny as well.

I think as long as your primer coat is compatible with lacquer paints then you should be ok, as always: test first

Ken
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You'll probably want to prime with a shiny coat to check for surface errors, if nothing else. There's nothing like a bare-metal surface to show every scratch...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

kenlilly106 wrote:MM Metalizers are formulated to bond to bare polished styrene for the best effect, if you're shotting them over another paint then that paint has to be smooth and shiny as well.

I think as long as your primer coat is compatible with lacquer paints then you should be ok, as always: test first

Ken
Agreed. I've never primed a surface for Metalizers. I would definitely experiment on scrap with a primer before I commited a project to it.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've got a question about this while we're on the subject.

The bottle says to buff after ten minutes, then decal as normal. What do I buff with and how long do I need to wait before it sets enough to handle whilst decaling and detail-painting?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

I always buffed with a 100 percent cotton cloth (old T shirt). The finish usually buffs out fairly quickly. As for handling, I tried to avoid handling unsealed Metalizer finishes - I always put a coat of sealer down before handling and decals.

I believe the unsealed Metalizer can take decals nicely once buffed - it's nice and smooth, but I didn't want to mar the finish with my fingers.