Figure scale to vehicle scale

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bobity0466

Figure scale to vehicle scale

Post by bobity0466 »

I am building a 1/48 scale model and would like to get some ground crew to add to it but I'm not sure what scale figures i need for it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

1/48 figures.

There are many figures for military and aircraft out in that scale.
Scale don't vary between subjects/genre.
bobity0466

Post by bobity0466 »

Thanks a lot for the info. Just wasn't sure if they varied.
"The force is strong with this one." - Darth Vader
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

Sizes might vary a bit between manufacturers but than not all human are of the same height.

Any hints what you are working on?
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

The "scale" of any model is an absolute thing. It is the ratio of the real thing to the model. It doesn't mater what the model is of, the concept of scale is absolute.

What you _will_ find with figures, though, is that certain manufacturers tend to make their figures all about 5' 7" or all about 6' 4", i.e. all too tall or all too short. Not all people are the same height, to be sure, but some manufacturers seem to think that people are all midgets or all giants. You'll want to get a standing figure and scale out the height. If it seems reasonable, use it. But, sometimes they're not.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There is, tho' the metric scale used by some figure manufactures, like 120mm or 25mm. 50mm / 52mm scale is 1/35. 40mm is actually 1/48 scale, or O (if you're talking trains). It can also be called Quarter scale when talking architectural scales because 1/4 inch equals a foot in 1/48 scale.

Here's a bit of a primer on scales if anyone is interested. http://www.thortrains.net/scale1.htm
Abolish Alliteration
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Well, again, to be precise, the "scales" used by some (actually most) figure makers is not an actual scale. It is a nominal measurement from the base to the centre of the figure's eyes. Not even to the top of the hear. Bloody useless concept, but they are wedded to it. It's more like a "gauge" measurement and not a scale.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Oh I agree to the fullest. Never could get my head around a nominal scale like that.

"it's a 120mm figure"
"Oh, so it's like 1/15 scale?"
"No, it's 120mm"
"Like a cannon?"
"No, like a figure"
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Just keep in mind that not every person is the same size or hight to be more precise.
Normal?? What is normal??
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:Oh I agree to the fullest. Never could get my head around a nominal scale like that.

"it's a 120mm figure"
"Oh, so it's like 1/15 scale?"
"No, it's 120mm"
"Like a cannon?"
"No, like a figure"
Agreed. That really sticks in my craw, as that means 120mm figures of rallymodeller, who is eight-feet tall in reality, and a 120mm figure of my six-foot prototype are two different scales.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.