Decal maker program

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bobity0466

Decal maker program

Post by bobity0466 »

Hey all I have been using Testors Sure thing decal maker: standard edition program to make custom decals and it worked pretty well till my computer crashed and now i have a computer with windows 7 on it. The problem is now the program won't install and looking back it says that it needs windows 98 - XP.
My question is has anyone had this problem and is there a way to get it working on widows 7. Or do I have to get another program and where can i get it?

Thanks for all the help.
Bobity
"The force is strong with this one." - Darth Vader
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Any good graphics program will do the job

I personally use Paint Shop Pro V8.1 (oldie but a goodie)

Photoshop or even Google SketchUp can be used
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Matty1973

Post by Matty1973 »

I know this sounds simple but have you tried to run the program in compatabilty mode?
bobity0466

Post by bobity0466 »

I have tried to run it in compatibility mode and it still gets only so far and stops working and says the program is "not responding" guess I'll try another type of program or I'll just have to build an older computer to use this.

Thanks for the help any way.
Bobity
talon

Post by talon »

Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw will product the best quality but they are expensive. I think both have stripped down versions that sell in a more reasonable range for consumers (as opposed to professionals).
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Step 1: Head to any pawn shop/goodwill store.

Step 2: Pay an ungodly low price for an older PC with Win98/Me/XP on it.

Step 3: Thank TheJimi. :D
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Paint.Net and GIMP are two totally free graphics programs you can download. GIMP looks and feels more like Photoshop but the hotkeys are all different if you're used to them in PS. PdN is more like Windows Paint on steroids if you're used to that interface instead.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Rogviler »

Or if you're used to a more vector-based program, Inkscape is free also.

-Rog
bobity0466

Post by bobity0466 »

Stu Pidasso wrote:Step 1: Head to any pawn shop/goodwill store.

Step 2: Pay an ungodly low price for an older PC with Win98/Me/XP on it.

Step 3: Thank TheJimi. :D
Unless your like me who has old computers sitting around and can build one to do what i need. lol

thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the programs to use I will defiantly check some of those out. Just wish sure thing decal maker would have worked, because I had already made the decals i needed with it on my old computer.

Anyway Thanks for all the help.
Bobity
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

Well drat - I just went to Testors.com and it looks like they aren't selling / supporting it anymore.

My personal favorite - I've been using it since version 3 (1992) is CorelDraw. Admittedly it's very expensive if all you'll be doing is decals, but from a graphics design point of view it's an amazing bargain. I can't wait to try out the video editing and (updated) animation programs they've added to the newest release.
Rather Fail with Honor, than Succeed by Fraud - Sophocles

Photoetched metal, decals, resin part, multimedia upgrades at ParaGrafix.biz. Breaking news on Facebook and Twitter.
naoto

Post by naoto »

How about running in a VM (virtual machine -- basically run an emulator) ? If your version of Win7 qualifies (when announced, it was originally it was limited to Win7 Professional and Win7 Ultimate only, but it seems that they extended it to include Win7 Home Premium) to use "XP Mode" VM (basically a pre-configured copy of Windows XP), then you should be able to download it from Microsoft for free. At that point then all you need to do is fire up the VM. If not, you can still install VirtualPC software from Microsoft and use an old OS install disc (note: Win95 won't run on computer with multiple cores).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

bobity0466 wrote:Unless your like me who has old computers sitting around and can build one to do what i need. lol
Bobity
:( :( or if your computers just that old to begin with :( :( (although mine still has win 7 on it)
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/