tamiya white problems

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

tyhe314

tamiya white problems

Post by tyhe314 »

Hey all I just got a jar of Tamiya acrylic white and I thinned it about 50/50 with rubbing alcohol. I have noticed that the coverage is very spotty and I tried to turn the psi up to about 25 and it covered a little better but was still spotty. What can I do to help with this? I only have this problem with the white.

Also the airbrush I use is a .35mm HP-CS Iwata.
Fokker Ace

Post by Fokker Ace »

Are you using the flat white? That one is tough to use and has given me trouble over the years. If you have the gloss version it might work better but I'd just keep playing with your paint to thinner ratio and find where it works best.
tyhe314

Post by tyhe314 »

Ya I am guessing since it is X-2 White. Ya it just seems any type of flat white is hard to deal with. I reached similar results with Model Master Acrylic's white too.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

It's been a bit since I've airbrushed Tamiya. I usually used what worked out closer to 30% thinner with flats; more thinner with gloss.
Air pressure was whatever comes out of the Badger Whirlwind compressor less a bit of leakage through a valve.

I'd really rather not talk about trying to paint yellow ...
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I gave up on alternative thinners and just use the tamiya thinner, about 30% like SWF said.

Oh, and mix well.
Abolish Alliteration
tyhe314

Post by tyhe314 »

Ok well i'll keep playing with the mix. Would the needle size have anything to do with it? Would putting a .5mm needle in it help?