What tamiya paints to use on my star destroyer kits!?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

muir318

What tamiya paints to use on my star destroyer kits!?

Post by muir318 »

Hello guys,
As i have said in other posts I am new to the hobby. I have various star wars kits i intend to build and thought i would ask which tamiya colours would you guys use for a finish on a star destroyer and also on a republic star destroyer?
I have a spray can of tamiya grey surface primer which i was thinking of using and then just adding the washes and weathering after applying that but not sure if that would work out!?
At the moment i dont have an airbrush and i dont want to use brushes so i was thinking of the tamiya spray cans for now!

The other kits i have are if you feel like adding the paints you would use to those also!?

Tie interceptor
Commemorative edition darth vader tie
Virago ship
AT_ST
Stap with battle droid

Thanks in advance for all answers
Last edited by muir318 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halcyon083

Post by Halcyon083 »

Tamiya Insignia white comes in a spray can, and to me it is a perfect just off white for most Star Wars ships. I don't have an airbrush either, and Tamiya spray cans give a good thin coat of paint that covers well with out covering details or filling in panel lines.
X-Wing in insignia white:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44819469@N ... otostream/

RSD that I'm working on also with insignia white:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44819469@N ... otostream/
"Justice has a name, and the name that it has, besides Justice, is Captain Hammer."
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Halcyon those look sweet.....nice work. You know as I recall years ago there was a thread on what color white was on an X-wing. Someone actually researched it and found out that the guys at ILM used Polyscales' Reefer White as the base coat. Jesus it was the mid-seventies, you think they could have found a color without the mention of pot?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000