Are PMs working?...apparently yes, with SQL issues still

Just what it implies.
Zubie

Are PMs working?...apparently yes, with SQL issues still

Post by Zubie »

I'm beginning to suspect that personal messages on the forum don't work. I've PM'd one zero twice, and both times I got a similar sql error message. Curiously I have no record of this in my "sent" message list. I noticed another thread where someone asked for a PM, then posted they were not given any message. If the SQL problem is not updating notifications about replys and posting on followed threads, then perhaps it isn't notifying or keeping track of personal messages either. I mean, if you receive no notice of a PM and it's not added to the list in one's INBOX, then it really doesn't exist now does it.

I sent a PM to irishtrek in response to his question about anybody PM'ing onezero but just like the other PMs, there is no record of it in my sent message list. Could anybody send me something just to check today? I'll see if I get anything at all in the Inbox this evening. Please note that a PM was sent on this thread so I know to look for one as notifications are definitely not working.
Last edited by Zubie on Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Chas

Re: Are PMs working?

Post by Chas »

Just sent you one. It is showing up in my outbox.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Well thanks...that worked.

My sent mail box started to work (it didn't yesterday). Still no record of any PMs to onezero

I'm still getting sql errors when I send the PM though.

Did it happen to you?
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Chas

Re: Are PMs working?...apparently yes, with SQL issues still

Post by Chas »

Yep got the Squl error sending the original, and reply. Otherwise everything g worked fine.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Zubie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:06 pm Well thanks...that worked.

My sent mail box started to work (it didn't yesterday). Still no record of any PMs to onezero

Did it happen to you?
I got the PM you sent me yesterday, not sure what thread it's associated with though.
Normal?? What is normal??
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

irishtrek wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:03 pm
Zubie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:06 pm Well thanks...that worked.

Did it happen to you?
I got the PM you sent me yesterday, not sure what thread it's associated with though.
It was on the tail end of the SQL error thread, but here is ok. Given the nature of what I thought was wrong, I thought it needed a second thread. I still have no confirmation that the PMs I sent admin worked which is odd. In fact I think I checked immediately after sending you the PM that I didn't see anything either, but it's there now. Who knows, maybe I just didn't look it up correctly.

Anyhow, PMs do seem to work, but the SQL error message still shows up when posted. PMs to mods might just work differently, or whatever was wrong was fixed? until we get some feedback about what is going on, I think we will just be guessing and working around the problem.

As we say around here "Es lo que es" (some of the little spanish I've managed to teach the kids).
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Whenever someone on here quotes anyone we always get a notification next to the private messages marker but this time I got none even though you quoted me, something new perhaps.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

irishtrek wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:54 pm Whenever someone on here quotes anyone we always get a notification next to the private messages marker but this time I got none even though you quoted me, something new perhaps.
That seems to be one of the symptoms of the general SQL problem. Given the odd things going on with some PMs I sent, I was suspicious it was also affecting PM notifications. There was another thread where somebody asked why no PM was sent as well which added to my suspicions. On the other hand, I got the PM you sent and it did show up with a notice on the Private Messages notice so I suppose it works now at least.

The work around I've been using is checking "New Posts" every time I log in, which sort of works unless it's been a while since I last checked. I might miss a few replies as a result, but yeah, notification of quotes and subscribed thread updates are not working.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

That's funny because I got no notification of you quoting me, again. sometime things work and sometimes they don't.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Sent John a PM last night about the problems, not sure if he got it or not. If you have gotten my PM John, please let us know you're aware of the problems.
naoto

Post by naoto »

I'm guessing that it's likely a heisenbug (type of problem that seems to disappear or alter behavior when you make attempt to study it).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

naoto wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:16 am I'm guessing that it's likely a heisenbug (type of problem that seems to disappear or alter behavior when you make attempt to study it).
...or explain it to the mechanic or your doctor :D
....trust me it was happening yesterday
Actually I have stupidly discovered something that must have been in plain sight all along. There is an "outbox" as well as a "sent" box. Why???
Funny thing, the outbox has the PMs I sent admin back in Jul and Aug and one from 2017 regarding copies of Jupiter 2 instructions which I sent to somebody else. So the questions are: a) why is there an "outbox", b) is the "outbox" a kind of alternate "sent" box, and c) did the stuff in the "outbox" actually go anywhere (I never did get an acknowledgement regarding Jupiter 2 instructions).

It's odd because there's only the one "submit" button on the compose window.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Zubie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:46 pm
Actually I have stupidly discovered something that must have been in plain sight all along. There is an "outbox" as well as a "sent" box. Why???
Funny thing, the outbox has the PMs I sent admin back in Jul and Aug and one from 2017 regarding copies of Jupiter 2 instructions which I sent to somebody else. So the questions are: a) why is there an "outbox", b) is the "outbox" a kind of alternate "sent" box, and c) did the stuff in the "outbox" actually go anywhere (I never did get an acknowledgement regarding Jupiter 2 instructions).

It's odd because there's only the one "submit" button on the compose window.
The "Outbox" is a sort of holding area where your mail or message sits until a background batch process (which is set to run every so often) actually sends the message/mail to the recipient. It is then moved from the "Outbox" to the "Sent" box.

It's just the way mailboxes work. Doing things by asynchronous batches saves on processor overheads and the number of services running.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I sent a PM to Onezero/John last Thursday about the problems and clicked send, or so I though, anyway just checked and it's still sitting in the out box. Plus I did not see a send button.