Structual Engineering the PL 350

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bigjimslade

Structual Engineering the PL 350

Post by bigjimslade »

I have done some dry fitting of this beast and is seems that it could use some reenforcement; So much so that I am considering leaving out the hangar.

The big problem I see is the pylons. They seem to have a lot of movement. I'm thinking about filling them with resin with an embedded rod exiting the bottom. Resin along the top to support to plug the bottom and continuing around for support.

Anyone else have any reenforment suggestions, experience, ideas?
woozle

Post by woozle »

Mine's pretty tight, just taped.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
fokkerpilot

Post by fokkerpilot »

Wait till you get to the shuttle bay casing that goes on the fantail of the secondary hull. The lower section of the secondary hull is warped producing a bit of tension during the fit. I've seen it on 3 of my kits and I'm getting input from a few others about the same issue. Then again, some kits don't have the problem. Must be a batch of lousy castings that slipped through. :roll:
Bar

Post by Bar »

I just glued my pylons with normal polystyrene cement, and they held very well.
It is a well-made kit, and doesn't need any re-inforcing.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
d_jedi1

Post by d_jedi1 »

I didnt have any trouble with mine... just a few pesky gaps to fill. Guess I was one of the lucky ones