Tamiya acrylic thinner mixed with GSI?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

LuiS_42

Tamiya acrylic thinner mixed with GSI?

Post by LuiS_42 »

i know it's a stupid question but has anyone had success using Tamiya acrylic thinner together with Gunze-Sangyo Acrylic paints? the reason i ask this is when i bought some GSI paints the store owner told me to use "just water" to thin the GSI paint..
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes and it worked fine.

There's a long standing rumor that Tamiya & Gunze paints are the same, or at least manufactured by the same company.

I've tried using "just water" to thin acylic paints and ended up with a curdled mess. Works fine with acrylic craft paints, not so well with acrylic model paints.
Abolish Alliteration
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

Thanks for the info Kylwell :) but i asked the same question in another forum and ,wel one guy said it doesn't work(he said the paint comes on too thick..) have you done this technique for a long time? i mean you can mix tamiya acrylics with GSI acrylics to get a custom color right? Then i guess thinning it with tamiya thinner "should" work..
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Haven't mixed he two paints (yet) but I thin all my Gunze with Tamiya thinner. Gunze tends to be a wee bit thicker than Tamiya out of the bottle so it simply gets more thinner.

Make sense?
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

And I do just the opposite...thin Tamiya paint with GSI thinner.

As far as I can tell, there isn't much difference. The GSI was just cheaper at the time.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin