Sheet styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Only really thin stock(5, 10, 15 thou) will be able to be rolled i think(I could be wrong on this), and it would curve the sheet to do so.

You can roll sheets as thick as .080" - the thicker the sheet the larger the diametre of the roll, of course, but as thick as .040" should only be about 8" in diametre. Unless you roll them really tight, they're not going to take a curve in the time it takes to get home. Even overnight won't set a curl too badly, but don't leave it longer than that. As far as transporting them goes, I've carried rolled sheets of styrene on the bus many times with no problem. Plan to do this on a weekend or other off-peak times. Your fellow commuters definitely will not appreciate it during rush hour.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

very very good to know. thanks. you guys are saving me a bundle.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

Somewhat related, I was toying with the idea of sculpting some laminated styrene, as Alex Dumas mentioned he created his Mk II Viper.

My questions would be, what is the best way to laminate the sheets, and what sort of tools could be used to scult the shape. Are there tools similar to clay sculpting tools that can be used?

Thanks!

Scott
Bar

Post by Bar »

Usually you start with the bottom layer. Get that shape right, and glue it to another piece. Once the glue has set, you cut or sand the next layer until it is the correct shape, and so on. a better way can be working out exactly what shape each layer will be beforehand, and simply putting them together like a 3d puzzle(This doesn't work with all subjects).
I made this with lamination(And these). You have to sand the styrene, though, you can't really sculpt it...
Bar
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

And then fill the seams with putty? I suppose you would have to make sure the laminated sheets are bigger than the intended design, in order to sand them down into shape. Is there any special type of putty to use if I plan on resin casting the part down the road? I've been using the green Squadron putty....

Scott
Bar

Post by Bar »

ssorrell wrote:And then fill the seams with putty? I suppose you would have to make sure the laminated sheets are bigger than the intended design, in order to sand them down into shape. Is there any special type of putty to use if I plan on resin casting the part down the road? I've been using the green Squadron putty....

Scott
That will work. I have heard great things about aves(And i have 4 pounds on the way, so i will report back when i have it).
Any filler you would normally use with styrene will be fine. You are correct about making it slightly larger and sanding back.
All modelling techniques still apply.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

Thanks for the info!

All this talk reminds me -- last summer we had a rail car leaking styrene nearby and when I came to work, it honestly smelled to me like a model kit :D

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4 ... etail.html
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

ssorrell wrote:And then fill the seams with putty? I suppose you would have to make sure the laminated sheets are bigger than the intended design, in order to sand them down into shape. Is there any special type of putty to use if I plan on resin casting the part down the road? I've been using the green Squadron putty....

Scott
If you're going to cast, do NOT use a lacquer-based putty like Squadron or Bondo. The mold release will act on the putty and make it brittle.

"Know ye this day Aves. Cast your sculpts and masters upon Aves, for Aves shall never crumble under the weight of the mightiest mold."

~ Castings 6:15

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Colin wrote:And remember the cardinal rule: Measure twice, cut once
. . .and not Tim's rule , which is "Never measure, cut yourself."
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!