Acrylic thinner = nail polish remover?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Slurm

Acrylic thinner = nail polish remover?

Post by Slurm »

Hey all,

It occured to me after smelling my Acrylic thinner the other day (and i feel GREEAATTT!!!) that the oder is very resemblent to nail polish remover. Has anyone ever looked into this as a possible lower cost alternative? Does anyone know if there is a difference?

Thanks!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Nail polish remover is lacquer thinner. Which may, or may not work with acrylics. Tamiya thinner is isopropyl alcohol with addatives same with the Mr. Thinner for acrylics. Because Gunze also makes lacquer based paints (the Mr. Surfacer series) that also have a lacquer based thinner.

While I'm ok with using straight lacqer thinner for lacquer based paints, I stick with Tamiya thinner for all my acrylic paints.
Abolish Alliteration
macfrank

Re: Acrylic thinner = nail polish remover?

Post by macfrank »

Slurm wrote:Hey all,

It occured to me after smelling my Acrylic thinner the other day (and i feel GREEAATTT!!!) that the oder is very resemblent to nail polish remover. Has anyone ever looked into this as a possible lower cost alternative? Does anyone know if there is a difference?

Thanks!
It's Acetone, and that'll wipe acrylics off with ease. If you're looking for a cheap thinner (other than water) other options are:
- windshield wiper fluid
- Kodak Photo-Flo 200 in water. A bottle will last for decades, since you only need a few drops in a lot of water.
- a tiny amount of dishwasher soap in a lot of water.

If you want both a thinner and paint remover, Denatured alcohol works well as both. Acetone works as well (or better) but it will affect styrene. Isopropyl alcohol also works, but it isn't as good at removing dried paint as Acetone or Denatured Alcohol.

Frank
Slurm

Post by Slurm »

is any of that safe for cleaning out Tamiya acrylic paint from my airbrush?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Windex is the best for cleaning out the dregs from your airbrush. I use it for my monthly deep cleaning, otherwise I use EZ Air cleaner.

Why you ask? Not fond of atomising amonia.
Abolish Alliteration
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Slurm wrote:is any of that safe for cleaning out Tamiya acrylic paint from my airbrush?
I have an Aztec, and I run denatured alcohol to rinse out the tip, and clean out the airbrush with their cleaning tool. Depending on the paint, i may soak the tip in either acentone or Denatired alcohol for a while, then clean off any excess paint with a microbrush.

If I'm not going to use the brush for a while, I reassemble it and run a cup of warm water through it.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Acetone is a very hot solvent. It will dissolve many rubbers (not sure about neoprene) and will attack plastic. I'd be very careful using it to clean the airbrush. I'd use alcohol first, then ammonia-containing windex.

I will shoot a tiny amount of windex through the airbrush between colors if I'm doing more than one in a session. Simple Green is pretty good for that, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BKShepherd

Post by BKShepherd »

Try some Goo Gone also
There is no such thing as Gravity .... The Earth Sucks ;-)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

BKShepherd wrote:Try some Goo Gone also
GooGone is lighter fluid, much akin to white gas. As a petroleum distilate I'm not sure how it would react to lacquer.
Abolish Alliteration