Display case....? (for the FMMF)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Atticus

Display case....? (for the FMMF)

Post by Atticus »

Hey, y'all:

I apologize in advance if this question belongs in another forum.

In any event, slow as I am, I'll be finished with my FM Falcon in another month (has taken me only six!), and barring any disasters (prays), she's looking surprisingly good for my first serious, large-scale airbrushing/weathering attempt. God Knows I'm no Krueger (who is? That guy's eye for color and realism scares me -- he's like the John Updike of starship modeling), but I'm kinda proud of my attempt in any case (pun intended).

SO--to protect the Falcon from dust and show it off a bit, I'd like to put it in a display case. What do you guys do? Build your own? Use a retailer? My needs are simple: big enough to fit the FM Falcon, has glass (even plastic?) sides, and a decent base.

I can't spend thousands of dollars on a case with museum quality glass or exotic woods found only in distant jungles, just want something that does the job and isn't too expensive or ugly (wife factor).

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks....

Atticus
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Atticus,

What I did was purchased a $100 display cabinet from Wal-MArt. They're just pressboard with a faux finish applied. The doors on the front close tightly and prevent dust from collecting on the models. It'll hold about a dozen models Of course, mine fits the decor, and the fairer sex is not offended by it. :)

I'm nearly finished with my house, and will just build a new one from sheet acrylic in the basement after we've moved in.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
gad

Post by gad »

I know what you mean, there is nothing more anoying then building something beautiful and having it tarnished by dust-mites!!! Finescale Modeler Magazine issue (November 2001) has an article on constructing your own display case. I have done this on several ocasions and have gotten better each time. I purchase the acyrlic sheets from home depot. It may be expensive though, depending on the size. Someone may be able to tell where you can get cheaper ones though. This article does a good job of showing us how to do this.
In one case I used an discount fish tank to keep the dust off!