What material do all of you use?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Curtw_944

What material do all of you use?

Post by Curtw_944 »

What do you use to create masters for resin casting? I am curious, I am going to give some sculpey clay a try. But was also curious what else others have used. Let us all know!!

Curt :twisted:
So Many Hobbies so little time!!!
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Um, it all depends on what you're making. Most of my masters are ships or vehicles, so I mostly use styrene, with epoxy putty and other elements as required. Sculpey is a sculpting medium, so I's really think it to be good for figures and the like - organic stuff. Even then, I'd use epoxy putty instead, as Sculpey needs to be baked to harden it.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I like Sculpy over epoxy putty, as it lets me sculpt at my own pace rather than working against the clock as the putty hardens. For wee small stuff that would be fine, but for something larger, like a detailed 1/8 or 1/6 figure, you'd have to work in stages. Sculpting it all at once then baking it is much less of a PITA all 'round.

Used to have issues with Sculpy being less durable than epoxy putty, but that was before I tried the Super Flex line. Once baked it behaves very similarly the hard rubber that Mcfarlane figures are made from. Very durable by itself, and lends resiliance to Super sculpy when mixed in.