Doh! paints for use on Aves Epoxy?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Arklan

Doh! paints for use on Aves Epoxy?

Post by Arklan »

so, i've been working on a projectthat is 98% aves molded parts, and i'm just about to start paintng it...

so last night i hgo out, hit the local hobby lobby and grab the colors i need of tamiya spray paint. yea, i know. spray paint ain't the greatest, but i got limited space and budget, so an airbrush was out and i didnt wantto deal with hand brushes....

anyway! the problem is i inadvertently picked up the "polycarbonate" type paint. will this work on the aves?

i'm worried that it's specifically designed to bond with polycarbonate or some such, and thus is useless to me and i should take it back...

but then, paint is paint, right? i've got a big can of krylon primer i was goingto hit the whole business with first, just to be safe.

so, should i goahead and spray away, or so i run back to the store?
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Polycarb paint is usally lacquer based. Can be somewhat hot but I've used Tamiya's lacquer based primers on Aves without an issue.
Abolish Alliteration
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

yea, in reading the labels on the can (something i shoulda done BEFORE buying. :| ) i noticed the acetone and such... this stuff won't be touching styrene, thats for sure.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I've painted Aves with Mr. Surfacer 1200, which I thin with about 60% lacquer thinner, with no problems.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.