would this tool help with large seams?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

would this tool help with large seams?

Post by Digger1 »

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I want to sand the seams of the saucer of the C-57D but not by hand. I like my arm and I want to be able to drive, take a shower, lift things, etc... Basically, I'm saying it would be a rather arduous task to sand puttied seams on the saucer.

Would an electric sander be too overkill for the model's surface?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have a similar sander from Porter Cable. It's not variable speed, so you will have to be VERY CAREFUL when sanding putty. The best thing you can do with the C-57 is to reinforce those seams from behind with plenty of cemented styrene for strength, and maybe think about some side-strips, too.

One problem with woodworking sanders like this is they tend to concentrate your work - and you may find you have lots of little whorls and depressions in your surface. They may also not be the most suitable for wet sanding.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
bmagee

Post by bmagee »

Ter-or is correct. But I understand where you are coming from... One and probably IMHO, the most important things to remember ,are to apply little pressure when sanding with motorized tools and to keep the sander MOVING. Do not allow it to rest in one spot for long if at all to keep from cutting a divit in your work. Good luck, I hope this helps.
jack wendt

Re: would this tool help with large seams?

Post by jack wendt »

Babaganoosh wrote:http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I want to sand the seams of the saucer of the C-57D but not by hand. I like my arm and I want to be able to drive, take a shower, lift things, etc... Basically, I'm saying it would be a rather arduous task to sand puttied seams on the saucer.

Would an electric sander be too overkill for the model's surface?
guess you read the stuff about "powered toothbrushes?"

i bought one of those comtraptions a few years ago. to me, as a wood worker and a scratch builder of models, it sounded like the holy grail.

i returned to the use of my B&D finishing sander that uses a 1/4 sheet of sand paper. i also use a belt sanders that can be flipped on it's back for a stationary sander.

i found it too bulky for my uses. just MO.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

For cleanup of resin kits and puttied seams I use the following sanders in my router:

http://www.hlj.com/product/URW51008

They come in 2 sizes, IMO, work better than the sanding bits you normally buy for a router.

HTH.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I would get the fine drum sander for a dremel and use that to do your rough sanding then go back with a sanding block with wet dry sand paper to finish the surface.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert