where to buy? (dull coat finishing paint)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mech

where to buy? (dull coat finishing paint)

Post by mech »

Any thoughts on where to get dull coat finishing paint? :?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

For the airbrush? I like PolyScale Flat acrylic.

As rattlecan, Testors is the standard lacquer.

www.squadron.com
www.greathobbies.com
www.rollmodels.com

They're all good sources.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
mech

Post by mech »

Thanks for the info...trying the airbrush for the first time... :D
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Tips for PolyScale. I apply at a higher pressure than I typically paint. 30ish instead of 20ish.

Apply a thin mist of dullcoat, don't let it collect anywhere. You want to just change the sheen, not cover it like paint. I've never needed more than two coats of PolyScale Dull over the glossiest surfaces.

You shouldn't need to thin much, but use a little water if you do. Make sure to mix thoroughly, though.

Oh, and wear gloves to avoid fingerprints....

Terry Miesle
P.W.Roice

Post by P.W.Roice »

TER-OR wrote:Tips for PolyScale. I apply at a higher pressure than I typically paint. 30ish instead of 20ish.

Apply a thin mist of dullcoat, don't let it collect anywhere. You want to just change the sheen, not cover it like paint. I've never needed more than two coats of PolyScale Dull over the glossiest surfaces.

You shouldn't need to thin much, but use a little water if you do. Make sure to mix thoroughly, though.

Oh, and wear gloves to avoid fingerprints....
Thanks for the tips. This confirms what I sort of figured out on my own building my jedi starfighter recently. When you thin the polyscale clear coats, do you use distilled water like it recomends on the label or can you just use tap water?
Astro-Man

Dull coats

Post by Astro-Man »

I find that Testors (Model Master) stuff to be crap and it yellows. A good source of dull coat sprays is Krylon. They make some nice stuff and you get plenty of it too! They have glossy, satin, and dull coat spray finishes that dry in minutes and never yellows or clogs up at the tip! I haven't had a problem yet with their spray paint but I wish they produce a line of rattle can paints with specific Federal Standard codes, Testors is ok but their stuff quickly goes to crap and I end up spending way more on paint then I should. Just thought you should know! However, keep clear away from the Rust-O-Liem stuff, their primer never dries and is always tacky to the touch. That crap will ruin your projects, I should know, it's happend already! :?
"We'll drink as much as we want! We're FREAKS!"
-Bearded Lady

"Okay lady, do I come to where you work and jump on the bed?"
-POR-EEF salesman to nosy customer
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

I was pointed to Ronseal matt acrylic varnish by a very helpful member here, its a std household varnish but comes in a 500ml tin so itll last forever and it thins with water. Ive used in now on two builds and it works a charm, goes great through the brush and doesnt yellow at all. Two thin coats does the trick and it dries super fast. I dont know if you guys in the U.S get this brand though, but it does rock! :D

lee
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

It's a water-based wood finish, right? I've heard guys use Minwax and Zar aqueous finishes on models- pretty much the same stuff as we use on models anyway - though it might have a bit more media supporting the acrylic, so it brushes more easily.

Terry Miesle
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

You got it TER, it is for wood, but its a lot more user friendly being acrylic, it leaves a great coat ready to work oils and pastels into and reseal.