What kind of equipment do I need?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Scholar81

What kind of equipment do I need?

Post by Scholar81 »

Hiya, this is my first post ;-) hmm, I just recently discovered the world of modding and I am so excited to jump in the deep end. :D

I already ordered some models on-line but... I want to be completely prepared to begin when they arrive so... could anyone give me a basic to moderate list of things I should have to make a Bad-ass model. 8) (and where to get it if possible)?

thx
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well, the basics are something to remove the parts from the sprue (like sprue cutters) and something to glue them together (like Tenax 7R).

After that it gets fancy. Helps to have something to fill seams like black CA, Aves, or Mr Surfacer 500. Then something to sand them down, sandpaper, flex-i-files, files, etc.

Then there's paint. Airbrushes are a godsend to painting but can be a bit pricy.

One thing. Be prepared for a bit of a learning curve. You won't be producing perfect models first rattle out of the box, but we'll definately try to make that curve as shallow as possible.
Abolish Alliteration
Scholar81

Whoa, fast response

Post by Scholar81 »

I just checked out tenax 7R and everyone said it's the best out there so I got two bottles and the applicator. 8) Also, I got a cheap Spruce Cutter. I got filers but I am not sure what kind of sand paper I should use for models. :?

The problem with the airbrushes is that I need an air compressor and I cant find any that is at 2 gal, mositure trapper and regulator under 70 bucks. ARGH
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
Scholar81

Post by Scholar81 »

I checked this one out and man it helped a lot. they recommedned a lot of stuff to get and they are horribly expensive. :o this hobby is expensive to start up. I am praying that after the start up phase, it should be cheap? or am I dreaming :(
Schadenfreudian

Post by Schadenfreudian »

Don't be faint of heart! :D

Most of the tools will last forever, and even stuff like sandpaper lasts an age. Only the putties, cements and paints will need regular replenishing (or not, if you're as slow as I am...).
'Science is a wonderful thing, I know, but I'd far rather be happy than right, any day.'
'And are you?'
'No. That's where it all falls down, of course.'

Hugging trees everywhere... http://www.greenparty.org.uk/
Scholar81

Post by Scholar81 »

[quote="kylwell"]
Helps to have something to fill seams like black CA, Aves, or Mr Surfacer 500. Then something to sand them down, sandpaper, flex-i-files, files, etc.

Hmm, Ok, I have read up on Mr. Surfacer 500 and I am impressed by it's performance. You also mentioned Black CA, Aves…

I don’t want to buy several different kind of stuff just for filling seams. So which one is best for the price and performance?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mr 500 is for small, tiny imperfections. Little divots, ejector pin marks, etc. Can be used for larger stuff but takes multiple coats.

Black CA is for larger imperfections and seam filling/strengthening. Can be used for smaller stuff but sanding it down can tkae more time that it's worth.

Ave, sculpting, seam/gap filling. Thin it with alcohol and you can fill panel lines too. Adhesion not as strong as Mr Surfacer or CA but still mighty strong with a properly prep'd surface. Roughen the surface with some 100 grit for some real adhesion.
Abolish Alliteration
Scholar81

Post by Scholar81 »

Whew, :D now I know the difference between them. I figured Aves is not necessary unless I do sculping. Mr. Surfacer 500 and Black CA is on my shopping list for tmw. Thx :wink:
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

You may want to hit an autoparts store and pick up some Bondo glazing putty. It is a main stay for spot filling, sands easily and is cheap for the ammount you get (much cheaper than Squadren Green stuff).

Hope this helps,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert