Part-construction with 3d-printer?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Braqua

Part-construction with 3d-printer?

Post by Braqua »

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried making a model or parts for a model with one of those 3D laser-printers which hardens resin/glue? There'll probably be a great deal of sanding needed, but it seems easier to re-create that exact Enterprise bridge dome in Autocad, and have it "printed".

Anyone tried this technique yet?
Some people have lives, others have cats.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

I'm sure someone one has.
You are refering to Stereo Lithography(STL).
However the technology is not quite "common" for the average modeler.
There are several desk top, or perhaps table top, printers now becoming availabe, and one of the local blueprint shops will actually print your 3d files using one of these newer machines. But the cost still seems to be $400-$800 for a print out. And if your print out is flawed because of a bad, or out of place polygon, you would still have to pay for the print.

http://www.rtangle.net/

If someone has a file, I would be glad to go down there and see if I could get a "FREE" live demo.... :wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Braqua

Post by Braqua »

I have got access to a printer for a test, so I'm trying to get hold of, or make, a "high-res" detailed object, preferably a known kit-part and have it printed. I'll keep you posted!
Some people have lives, others have cats.
minieffects

Post by minieffects »

Well there are different types. SLA using a laser curing resin in a tank. 3d printers typically use wax polymer or some type of abs. They are all expensive processes. I have been working with 3d systems Thermojet printer for the last few years and had great results.

Here is a link to a project I am currently working on. I modeled everything in Rhino 3d and then printed the parts. The prints were then molded.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t= ... wer+loader

enjoy

minieffects