Tamiya Color Chart Not Matching Colored Caps on Spray Paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Tamiya Color Chart Not Matching Colored Caps on Spray Paint

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I bought 2 cans of tamiya paint and chose the 2 colors based on the color of the paint cans cap. I checked the tamiya paint color charts for my 2 colors and they are listed correct number etc, but the paint chart colors are totally different than the colored caps :shock: does the tamiya colored caps represent the color of paint inside of them ? which one do i trust ? the cap or color chart. If the colors are different than whats on the cap i will need to return them. they are each sealed in plastic so if i open them i own them. :?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It used to be that the color on the spot on the caps matched the paint (because they used the paint to make the spot).

Now-a-days neither the cap, spot, or paint chip chart truely matches the color of the paint (unless it's black or white) because the spot and chip are printed with process color generally which can only aproximate the paint color and the cap, molded in plastic, only comes close also.

How close? Well, that depends. The paint chip (and spot) will probably be the closest. I rarely give it much thought.
Abolish Alliteration
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i just rechecked the caps on both cans and the only thing on the cap is a black and white sticker with the name of the color and other information. The caps are a solid color of i hope , of the color inside.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
robgmun

Post by robgmun »

I found the German Gray rattle can to be much much darker then the cap when it dried. Almost ruined my Mini-BSG
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks for that info ! I still have the cans sealed and i can return them to the hobbytown store if they are that far off in color. I was wondering about the cap color when the tamiya online color charts looked completly different. thanks again. :)
BERT
MODEL MAKER