Scratchbuilding 1/32 logs

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hobbit 77

Scratchbuilding 1/32 logs

Post by Hobbit 77 »

I,m working on a 1/32 diorama that requires logs. Tried actual tree brachnes but just doesn't look right. So, I've been experimenting on scratchbuilding some logs. Just tried some FIMO clay. Seems to work. Was wondering if anybody had any other techniques of creating miniture logs themselves.

Thanks,
Hobbit 77
DEC

Post by DEC »

Hi,
instead of tree branches look to a smaller plant. I find the dead wood from Rose stems very good as it replicates the rings of a larger log but is smooth and straight on its outer surface matching a trunk of younger tree. If you need twisted old logs then the older stems of Heather are nice and gnarled.

If the logs are for fencing or unditching beams for a tank then try using a razor saw dragged deeply along Kit sprues. Or thicken sprues with putty and scratch the surface to give bark.

All these ideas have been used by me, but not knowing what you are doing may make them unsuitable. Still I hope its of use.

DEC
look sir.............Droids
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Totally out of the blue, and probably you solved your logjam already, but I stumbled into another answer for you: Pasta. You know, dry pasta, like spaghetti. It is cylindrical and comes in several calibers, so you can make your logs in various sizes.

The neat trick, however is HOW you get the right texture into the pasta, and how I stumbled upon the technique: You burn the pasta! Not like forgetting-the-pasta-cooking-on-the-stove-until-the-water-dries-up-and-sets-off-the-smoke-detector burn, but roll the raw pasta over a flame, as you would a piece of sprue (but close enough and for long enough to actually burn the surface of the pasta, what you don't want to happen to the sprue).

When done properly, the surface of the pasta will bubble as it burns and will get a nice tree bark texture. Furthermore, the burning pasta will warp a bit when it burns, like many tree trunks are gently curved (if you turn the pasta properly, it won't just buckle to one side, but gently curve).

I suggest you prepare a long section of burnt pasta (some 8 inches out of a 12 inch stick). After that you paint the surface with markers, in varying shades of brown, then you give it a coat of matt varnish just to seal the marker ink in.

You then cut the logs to size by pressing a razor blade down until the pasta snaps away (hold both ends, 'cause the small ones will take off and be lost for ages). The yellow inside of the pasta will be just like the light wood, and the thickness of the burnt pasta/marker ink/varnish will be perfect for bark.

Oh, ater you cut the logs, dab a bit of varnish on the ends to keep hungry bugs away from your logs.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about roots? Many of the best diorama guys use roots as they, for whatever reason, give a better scale appearance.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Lt. Z0mBe, on his signature, wrote:When I was young, we had to sit out in the yard, on gravel, to work on our models, which we had to make ourselves, out of rocks - hard, ugly rocks that were impossible to work with.
Forgot to add "roots": "...we had to make ourselves, out of rocks - hard, ugly rocks that were impossible to work with. And roots - stinky, worm infested roots." ;)
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Chacal wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe, on his signature, wrote:When I was young, we had to sit out in the yard, on gravel, to work on our models, which we had to make ourselves, out of rocks - hard, ugly rocks that were impossible to work with.
Forgot to add "roots": "...we had to make ourselves, out of rocks - hard, ugly rocks that were impossible to work with. And roots - stinky, worm infested roots." ;)
:lol: :lol:

I needed that.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

roots are indeed the normal solution.