Curved model

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Curved model

Post by ENT2151 »

Hello, I am working on a scratch build model and I have come across a problem. The construction of it is a triangular shape, about 2 feet long. It has 1 layer of 0.08 inch plastic, with channeling on the sides, the channels are filled with plastic, then on the other side there is a sheet of 0.06 inch plastic, all of which is styrene. In between there are square prisms supporting it.
The problem that I am having is that along the length, it is slightly curved/ bowed.
I’m looking for a way to straighten it out, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

One way I can think of is to build internal bulk heads, they need to all be the exact length of they will become appart of the bow or waves. I think this is called Lofting, it is how [wooden] boats hulls are made and I believe the same term applies to ariplane wings (sean in wooden RC airplane wings).

You will need several strips of styrene the right hieght and lenth. Some holes can be made in these pieces ot pass wires (lighting it maybe) and or brass tubing to further strengthen the structure.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Post by ENT2151 »

I do not think that would work, it is already assembled. So I can not access the interior. And to remove the thinner sheet of styrene would probably destroy it, and would not work, because it is attacked to the rest of the model in multiple locations, some of which are in the middle, it is about 1 foot wide. Someone suggested laying it on a flat surface and piling heavy books on it, would that work? Also it is not a huge problem; I would say that if the entire curve were to be drawn out, it would have a radius of about 16 feet, maybe more.
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

ENT2151 wrote:...Someone suggested laying it on a flat surface and piling heavy books on it, would that work? Also it is not a huge problem; I would say that if the entire curve were to be drawn out, it would have a radius of about 16 feet, maybe more.

It curved after you finished it? If so, it is because of different shrinking/dilating ratios between the upper and lower surfaces. Either that or it was built slightly out-of-whack (maybe because the prisms were of slightly different sizes). In any case, you're screwed, I think. If if bent because of material differences, if you straighten it, it'll bend back eventually. If it was built out-of-whack, it'll remain this way no matter what.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

ok, thanks for your help. it's not a big problem, just something that could be fixed, though as i said the curve is very slight.