Problem with Airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Problem with Airbrush

Post by ENT2151 »

Hello,
Recently I have been having a problem with my Airbrush; it’s a Badger 150-4PK Pro Airbrush MD/HD. I have had it for about 3 or so years, and has worked perfectly before. I have also had it cleaned professionally multiple times. However recently when I go to paint something it pulses, instead of a constant stream. I run it through with paint thinner after every use, so I don’t think it’s clogged. Does anyone have a suggestion to what might be wrong?
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

What are you using for an air source?
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Post by ENT2151 »

An air compressor with a 3 gallon tank, which lets out a steady stream of air, so that’s not the problem.
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
budgie

Post by budgie »

check for leaks in your line..

A pulsing effects usually a sign of and uneven airflow that you get from diaphram compressors.. Having the airtank should eliminate this but I suspect a leak somewhere.. check the line first then the fixings then the brush itself..

Does the 150 have a seal in the body where the hose attaches? seal may have perished or got pinched and broken..

what thinners you using? turps/white spirit, alchol, cellulose?

Budgie
<A HREF="http://budgie.scifimodels.org.uk/">SCIFI SCOTLAND</A>
<A HREF="http://scifimodels.org.uk"> SFM:uk </A>
I don't know about art but I know what I like..Ill be the serpent in your blood on a Saturday night..
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

i think it does have a seal in that area, though im not going to check that, its about 0.5 cm DIA and is in a very small cavity, with about 12 other parts the same size, with my luck i would end up loosing osmething important. I have been using, i dont have the container it came in, i think it was Clean Strip Paint Thinner, which i beleave is alchol based.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Send it back to Badger with a note telling them what it's doing and they'll fix it for free. The problem is the rear seal that is buried in the body, it's worn out and can only be replaced by Badger. My 200 did the same thing until they replaced the seal; once fixed, no more pulsing. I drop off all my Badgers every year at WF and they always fix them up and send them back within 2 weeks, all for free! They even replaced the tips and needles one time! Can't beat that kind of customer service.

Word of advice though, if dropping them off in person, make sure you clean them before doing it. I got a royal buttchewing last time because mine were filthy. Seriously, she was very angry and chewed me out for at least 3 to 4 minutes. I felt so guilty I almost thought of buying something from her. Almost.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

I just sent them an E-mail, checking to see what i need to send with it. I should have thought to send it back to them to begin with. Well, thanks for all of your help, i just hope this will solve the problem.