Simulated Tubing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkov

Simulated Tubing

Post by Darkov »

While opening Christmas Gifts, one of the presents had this cord wrapped around it. Not sure what else to call it. With a little painting it makes for nice simulated hose.

Hose

:D

Pete
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Post by ENT2151 »

looks cool, would make a great power conduit.
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

That same cord comes in silver. Hit it with a bit of matte clear and it looks great. Coming from the Gundam modelers, take the cord out of your old window blinds and paint them silver or black. The weave of the cord looks great as a reinforced braided hose and if you push a bit of wire up through the middle of either your can bend it to shape and it will stay.
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook
Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

Looks real good there, Darkov. I'd like to add that guitar and base strings make great scale ribbed tubing. I have used that to great effect in turning a bland scratchbuild into a more interesting model.
Dr. Snuts, M.D.

Post by Dr. Snuts, M.D. »

Looks real good there, Darkov. I'd like to add that guitar and base strings make great scale ribbed tubing. I have used that to great effect in turning a bland scratchbuild into a more interesting model.
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

Dr. Snuts, M.D. wrote:...guitar and base strings make great scale ribbed tubing....
Hey I have used guitar strings too though it is a "ribbed" effect and not a "braided" one. You see more of the ribbed line in Mecha and the braided in military or auto models. I use both types of hose myself depending on what looks good to me for the kit.

Every time I change strings on my guitar (which is not too often of late) I keep those old ones for my spares box. The unwrapped strings E, B and G are great for hard brake lines and rigid tubing of the sort. I use the thinnest E string for a super glue applicator and for clearing the nozzle on the tube of glue as well.

There are all kinds of uses for guitar strings like the ones mentioned and for cutting clay, garats and oh yeah music.
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook