scribing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

scribing

Post by ENT2151 »

hello, i am working on a Star Wars model that requires scribing, or making small trenches to show hull plating. what would be the best tool to use? keeping in mind that it is made out of 0.04" styrene. thanks
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depends on the fineness of line you want. The Hase tool is great for fine work. So are the scribe saws. The Tamiya scriber is better for thicker cuts.
Abolish Alliteration
ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Post by ENT2151 »

well the model is 1/48 scale, so the cut should be about 0.5 mm deep, with that said, which tool that you listed would you recommend?
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Flat(ish) surfaces or compound/complex curves? At .5mm I'm guessing a fatter line is what you're going to want, try the MicroMark tool. Has a thick and thin side, cuts a V channel.

One trick I learned was let the tool do the cutting and count your strokes for even depth/width.
Abolish Alliteration
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

that one looks good, do you use a ruler or straight edge on it, or are most of them done by hand?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes.

I've used eraser shields, straight edges, Dymo label tape, and scribing templates.

Dymo is by far the most versitile. Thick, sticks well, bends around corners.
Abolish Alliteration
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

thanks for your help
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

This thread may give you some pointers too:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... hp?t=42752

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.