Acrylic paint & thinner question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Acrylic paint & thinner question

Post by Lonewolf »

I'm working on a project right now that I'm going to use my airbrush on. To date I've only used enamel paint through the brush, but the new project will use acrylic paint. I'm not sure if my paint and thinner will work together (or maybe I'm overthinking things again).

Anyway, the paint is Tamiya acrylic, and the thinner is Model Master Acryl Thinner (#50496). I know that some paints claim to be specially formulated to work with certain thinners. Are there any compatibility issues that I should be aware of?

Also, I'm going to use a 4:1 thinner-to-paint ratio. Is that too high? Should I go 50%-50% instead? I'm putting the paint down over light gray sandable auto acrylic primer.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all might be able to give me! :D
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I've never had much luck with Acryl thinner, but that's just my opinion. For thinning Tamiya paints, I like plain old Windex. Are you using your new Paasche H? If so, 4:1 thinner to paint ratio seems kinda high. I'd start less than 50/50, then add more thinner if needed. Try it on a scrap bit of plastic first. Tamiya acrylics spray really well, so you shouldn't have any trouble.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Windex is good, windshield washer fluid (the blue stuff) is good. Isopropyl alcohol is best, IMO and only like a buck to boot.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Romulan Spy wrote:Are you using your new Paasche H?
Yup!

I don't have any Windex handy at home, and I think that Isopropyl alcohol would probably be cheaper, so I'll stop on the way home from my meeting tonight and pick some up.

I generally use plain old Testor's and Model Master enamels, so I wasn't really sure on what to do with acrylics. I know that I use about a 50-50 mixture (sometimes 60-40, depending on how old the paint is). I've brush-painted with acrylics, but never airbrushed with them, so it's new territory for me.

Thanks! :8)
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I perfer using Tamiya thinner with Tamiya paints. Not sure (after Testors last reformulation) what the MM thinner would do.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I thin Tamiya acrylics with Windex. Of course, I thin all acrylics with Windex or isopropyl alcohol (90-percent) if none is handy.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Thash 'casue Kenny ish a cheap bashtidge.

:D
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

'Tis true. :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
robgmun

Post by robgmun »

Kylwell wrote:I perfer using Tamiya thinner with Tamiya paints. Not sure (after Testors last reformulation) what the MM thinner would do.
Me to, it's the only way to be sure.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I'd love to use Tamiya thinner with the paint, but the store where I got the paint didn't have any Tamiya brand thinner, and nobody else in my area carries Tamiya brand products (other than the kits, of course). So . . . unless I mail order some thinner, I have to use another method.

macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I've been using acrylics (Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo, Pactra, Polly S, Polly Scale, Acryl) since 1990 or so and the only manufacturer's suggested thinner I've ever used was for Testors's Acryl.

Other than the ill fated Testors Model Master acrylics (which were just bad, regardless of what you thinned them with) and Polly S, I've never had a problem with thinning acrylics with Windex, windshield wiper fluid, Isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol or water with surfactant. I stopped using the Acryl thinner with Acryl paints because it offered no visible advantage over any of the alternate thinners above.

Frank