Safe Super glue remover

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Safe Super glue remover

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've got a problem: I spilled some super glue (a.k.a. CA glue) on a model project and need a safe substance to remove/dissolve it. I would also appreciate knowing whether said substace will remove glue (and not skin) from my fingers; I hate waiting for the stuff to crumble away.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Most hobby shops that sell CA also sell CA debonder. It won't harm the plastic, and is also good for getting the stuff off your fingers, and unsticking you from your kit.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Slin

Post by Slin »

Well I always clean-up CA with nail polish remover (just check if there is acetone in it) but that will harm the plastic if left on it. You might get away with it when after the cleaning you immediatly wipe it off with a wet/damp towel.
karim

Post by karim »

Acetone is the primary solvent for Cyanoacrylate (superglue). It's not great for you, but small exposure shouldn't hurt you.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Thanks, I'll try that.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Most OTC CA glues will simply peel away from skin.

I tried putting some on my finger with eczema but it burned like a son of a gun so I just peeled it off. I figured if I kept air away from it, it'll stop itching. :oops:
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

You do need to be a little careful with the CA remover and styrene. Keep it away from the plastic as much as possible, and on the CA.

I made the mistake of covering a plastic part with remover to get a piece of photoetch off (Verlinden detail for interior of a jet nozzle). The glue came off fine, but the styrene softened and was pretty much ruined (unless you need a blobby part!).

Lesson there somewhere!

Kev
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

If its on your fingers a soak in hot water and some scraping with a fingernail will have it off in no time. If its on the model acetone or a debonder. Be careful though if the model is painted the debonder will ruin the paint job too.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
Capt. Doize

Post by Capt. Doize »

I was looking around the forum, and before I posted another thread, I thought I would expand on this one. I managed to get some super glue on a clear part and now it fogged up. How can I safely remove the glue without damaging the clear part :x :x :x ?