Plasti-kote primer BLACK

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tayed-Gachi

Plasti-kote primer BLACK

Post by Tayed-Gachi »

Anybody know who might sell Plasti-kote sandable primer in BLACK?

My Wal-Mart dosent sell it and the local Michael's only has Grey and White.
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I think you can find it at PepBoys if I'm not mistaken. I love that primer.

The WalMarts near me don't seem to carry them anymore. [homer]dumb stupid walmart[/homer]
Floyd Walker

Post by Floyd Walker »

To add to Tony, try any of the auto parts stores (AutoZone, etc.).
Also, Meijer's, K-Mart, Home Depot, etc., should carry stuff like that.
Tayed-Gachi

Post by Tayed-Gachi »

I have the metal Primer that I got at pep boys but I was wondering if it's the same formula as the suff at Michaels? :?

I have the gray primer which says plasti-kote sandable primer and the lable has a picture of a rockinghorse and other craft things. and the metal primer which also says Plasti-kote sandable primer, has a picture of a car.
Floyd Walker

Post by Floyd Walker »

I just checked Plasti-Kote's website, and it looks like the paints are from two different lines - home decor and automotive - but the descriptions make them seem close in capabilities. Both are laquer, both are compatible with most topcoats, etc.
I don't see where you couldn't use them interchangably, but you never know :roll:
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Plasti-cote's white seems to have the finest "grain"
Far smoother out of the can than any others I've tried.
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

Floyd Walker wrote:I just checked Plasti-Kote's website, and it looks like the paints are from two different lines - home decor and automotive - but the descriptions make them seem close in capabilities. Both are laquer, both are compatible with most topcoats, etc.
I don't see where you couldn't use them interchangably, but you never know :roll:
I use the stuff in the black cans, with the quarter panel on the front. Only thing I can say is the gray stuff you have to watch that you are not spraying to far from the subject. as you will get a very grainy coating of primer, just have to hit that sweet spot. And it goes on very smooth.
Tayed-Gachi

Post by Tayed-Gachi »

I've sprayed the "Grey" form the can before and it went on smooth as silk.

What I'd like to do with the black is shoot it into a bottle and airbrush it on.

Anybody ever Airbrush this stuff?

Btw

it seems that the black "auto primer" is a little thicker than the grey "craft primer".
Wug

Post by Wug »

I've airbrushed Plasti-kote's Scratch Color Automotive Sanding Primer "Grey Primer 3702". This came in a one-ounce glass jar with an applicator brush but I think it's similar to their spray primer. Dupli-Color made gray and red oxide sanding primers that came in half-ounce metal tubes with applicator brushes. The Plast-kote and Dupli-Color primers were so similar you could mix them (and they're both hyphenated). Before I discovered Mr. Surfacer, they were my favorite primers and they're still my favorite metal primers.

Anyhow, for airbrushing I thinned them with acetone. I haven't tried it but I think they can be thinned with automotive acrylic lacquer thinner. If you can find the black primer in a jar you won't need to go to the trouble of decanting it from a rattle can.

HTH

Mike
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Tayed-Gachi wrote:I've sprayed the "Grey" form the can before and it went on smooth as silk.

What I'd like to do with the black is shoot it into a bottle and airbrush it on.

Anybody ever Airbrush this stuff?

Btw

it seems that the black "auto primer" is a little thicker than the grey "craft primer".
Hi Ed, I decant the spray cans for airbrushing all the time. The thing is I have to thin the primer with lacquer thinner a bit especially when I'm about to get finicky with airbrushing details. The stuff tends to thicken up after being exposed to air.
For large coverage with not alot of deep detail I'll pick up the spray can and apply it that way.