best paint for airbrushing, and how to thin it?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

UltraMagnus

best paint for airbrushing, and how to thin it?

Post by UltraMagnus »

ok, i have been fiddling around trying to get my badge 155 to paint camo schemes for my sci fi tanks. anyway, i have just about given up trying to pump gw and vallejo paint through my airbrush, it either wont come out or ends up turning into droplets on the tank and giving a spotty look, not to mention with the small amounts gw give you, you end up using up the entire pot just to get enough paint in the airbrush pot.

so, my question is, what is the best paint (that can be used without needing to wear a respirator, and is mail order able in the UK) to put through an airbrush for this sort of thing? i have heard tamiya are pretty good, but i have no idea of what ratio of tamiya thinner to paint i should use to thin them.

thanks in advance!
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

What are you using to thin the GW and Vallejo paints?

And yes Tamiya paints from my experience airbrush very nice, also any paint no matter if its enamel or water based you should use in a well ventilated area or wear a mask.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Vallejo makes a series of paints that are made for AB. I use Tamiya & Gunze acrylics thinned about 2 to 1 with Tamiya thinner.

May I ask what you're using to thin with?
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Model Master acrylics need not be thined to run through an air brush.
Normal?? What is normal??
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Both GW and Vallejo should be able to go through the airbrush...we'll need some more detail on a few things though:

What pressure?
How much did you thin? (if at all?)
What did you thin with?
How far away are you holding the brush?

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
UltraMagnus

Post by UltraMagnus »

thanks for your replies all
Jonas Calhoun wrote:Both GW and Vallejo should be able to go through the airbrush...we'll need some more detail on a few things though:

What pressure?
i am not exactly sure, i am using a hobby diaphragm compressor, i think it runs at about 10psi - 15psi. it was the one the guy in my hobby shop where i bought my airbrush recommended i buy.
How much did you thin? (if at all?)
about 1:1
What did you thin with?
simple, ordinary, tap water (its water based, right)
How far away are you holding the brush?
about 30cm away

thanks for trying to help.

edit: just checked the catalogue, it says it runs at 37 psi max
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

UltraMagnus wrote:
What did you thin with?
simple, ordinary, tap water (its water based, right)

I would add a drop of say windex to the mixture as it will help break the surface tension of water.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

UltraMagnus wrote:
Jonas Calhoun wrote: How far away are you holding the brush?
about 30cm away
That could be the issue. Move in a bit--maybe 5-8 cm. Everything else sounds OK.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As a note, most hobby compressors run closer to 30-40 psi out of the box. You can paint at this volume but it's tricky.

Try reducing your thinning. With some paints it's tricky finding the sweet spot where it's thin enough to srpay but not so thin the paint particulates don't pick-up.

As Caveslug said, try a little windex or surficant (Called Jet-dry here, made for dishwashers). Plain tap-water can make a mess of some paints, despite being water clean-up (not neccessarily water based). I use Tamiya's thinner for all my acrylics but there are some homemade thinners available.
Abolish Alliteration
robgmun

Post by robgmun »

I've always been told that the best is Tamiya paints with Tamiya's thinner in a 1 part paint and 2 parts thinner ratio.

Is this ok?
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

robgmun wrote:I've always been told that the best is Tamiya paints with Tamiya's thinner in a 1 part paint and 2 parts thinner ratio.

Is this ok?
The best... that is subjective really, I can say this and not being a airbrush guru I have never had a bad experience using there paints airbrushing they always come out smooth.