LE Tape

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Timmy!

LE Tape

Post by Timmy! »

Has anyone tried using EL tape for a Millennium Falcon engine glow? I haven't ordered any yet, but it says that it has a 3mm clear part on each side of the tape. I was thinking of trimming that off and using it for the engine glow. Is that clear portion necessary for the tape to stay together?
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

EL tape isn't usually very bright.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Timmy!

The clear part is usually necessary to hold the layers of the EL tape together, in my experience. Some kinds can be cut and shaped, some can't.
Prince of Styrene II

Post by Prince of Styrene II »

jwrjr wrote:EL tape isn't usually very bright.
I ordered some several years ago for my Voyager & it was quite bright, just enough to produce a good in-scale glow for the nacelles.
"Hold the weapons Daddy, I'm going to go get my monkeys." My daughter, The Duchess of Styrene
==========================
"No, you're not eating cereal for supper!"
"But, Mommy, it's Star Trek & it's only for a limited time!"
==========================
"I like what you did with your A-hull."
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

jwrjr wrote:EL tape isn't usually very bright.

Well that's a good thing aint it? For lighting up a model... not the room.
I get EL sheet raw 4"x 6" from Miller Engineering. I can cut to fit.

Best article I have seen for EL lighting up the MF was by Matte Usher in the book A Galaxy Far Far Away a Kalmbach publication. I highly recommend this book for any beginner for model lighting. Especially first timers.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
AModelMan

ElTape for Falcon

Post by AModelMan »

ElTape=No good.

That was my first bet and it looked great until I discovered CCF tubes.

Throw two or three of those in there and you will be psyched! The foot longs are a dash too big, so get the 6" ones. I already paid for the 12", so I'm using two blues. I'll be aiming a white led or two in there as well. A third white ccf was too powerful for the blues, so i pulled that out. But two 6" blues and one white could be a good mix...