Molding Question - Comments Please

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Molding Question - Comments Please

Post by tonyG2 »

My main problem in molding is the damn clay. No matter what I do, no matter that I use sulphur free "clean" clay, it sticks to the master and the mold like crazy glue. Mold release makes no difference.

Anyway, was chatting with a guy at the loval hobby shop and his uggestion was to avoid the use of clay entirely.

This was his suggestion. My question is - does itwork and what are the downsides (on the basis of TANSTAFL)

1. Build the mold box as usual but leave out the clay.

2. Raise the part or model to be cast above the base (for example on a round section of Lego etc)

3. Pour in the rubber as normal so it comes halfway up the side of the part to be cast.

4. cut out depresessions in the set rubber - to act as keys for the upper half of the mold. Place some sections of sprue onto the upper face of the set rubber to function as pouring channels.

5. Add the rest of the rubber. Let set

Separate the mold as normal. Clean up the pour channels with a sharp knife. Fill the hole left by the rod that raised the part above the base using miliput.

Is this going to work? Sounds a good way to avoid the crappy problems inherent in using clay.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It works so long as the part is bilaterally symetrical enough that you can do that. You may also need to trim off the little bit of flash that will form around the part as the mold material cures and shrinks.

I'll admit, claying a master up is an art. An art which I have yet to master.
Abolish Alliteration
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

try putting a sheet of plastic wrap on the master before you clay it up.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I used to put the master 'up' on needles to suspend it in the middle of the molding area. Worked a treat. Never worried about the needles leaving channels in the rubber since they were so thin.

And before you pour the top layer, entombing the master, spary both it and the surface of the first layer with mold release so the two separate easily.

Model ON! :D
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Needle idea sounds good.

Will give it a go.

Thanks
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Have you tried using WED clay ?
Find it at Michael's ..... made by Laguna...about $ 6.00 for a few pounds.
Get the gray stuff.

MUCH easyer to work than other clays ( I've used them all )
Works super easy...cleans up with water.

On the other hand...have you considered doing a cut mold ?
futch

Re: Molding Question - Comments Please

Post by futch »

tonyG2 wrote: 3. Pour in the rubber as normal so it comes halfway up the side of the part to be cast.
won't give you a clean 2-part mold. the rubber will create a meniscus (sp?) around the master which will create bad seams. secondly, you can't "fill" holes in a mold. the oil in the rubber prevents adhesion. epoxies will simply get dislodged after a few casts.

personally, i use playdoh for my (adhoc) molds. i scrape it off then washes the remainder off with hot water (around the master part). then apply the top half of the mold. downside is that the guide marks shrinkso you cant do anything too deep.

the other point i wanted to raise, try mold sealant before using mold release.

otherwise your materials are suspect. people don't normally have these issues.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

*smack* Mold Sealant. I spaced that.

Yes, Sealer works wonders. Recently cast up a copy of a river tumbled lava rock. 2 coats of mold sealant followed by two coats fo mold release and it cast up beautifully.
Abolish Alliteration
Scale Solutions

Post by Scale Solutions »

Paint the side of your pattern that will be in the clay with liquid latex

Wayne Pugh
Scale Solutions
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I had the same problem - with the plastic sticking to both the mold and the master. Solved it with regular enamel thinner - with the normal modeling clay it just dissolves it away. I would wipe away as much as possible, and then go to q-tips dipped in the thinner to get the rest. Worked pretty well.

Kev
vaderman

Post by vaderman »

I find that a little rubbing alcohol on a paint brush and then wipe off with a cloth works well.

Scott
Do or Do Not....There is No Try!

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!