roto vs solid cast

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

cylon75

roto vs solid cast

Post by cylon75 »

Can any one explain the difference between roto cast and solid cast I no that the solid cast is solid but what the plus and minuses of this. is one better than the other?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

One is lighter, the other doesn't run the risk of thin spots.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Also, roto casting will use much less resin but it can take a little more time to do as a lot of it is done manually unless you have a "tumbler" device (don't know what to call it).

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Roto cast assemblies are also much better suited to installing lighting or interiors. Can't do that with a solid cast kit without chopping parts up and dremmeling them out. That means lots of elbow grease, and enough resin dust to give your garage a nice Ceti-Alpha V flavor.

I do wonder how often roto cast kits want some degree of extra internal support. The sagging risk is not so great as with vinyl, I would think, but judging from how resin nearly always arrives at my door in need of a little heat straightening (apparently just from warpage while in transit), I'd be inclined to build rotocast kits with a little added bracing on the inside.

I've never built a roto cast kit before, but I have built resin kits that were cast in hollow halves, and sagging was an issue I had to contend with.