how to do laser hits ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

cylon75

how to do laser hits ?

Post by cylon75 »

I'm going to be doing a mark 2 viper soon can any one tell me how to simulate laser hits on the out side? with out a air brush.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Rough up the blast point with an exacto blade. Maybe even spall the area with a ball dremel bit. Paint the center dark silver, and the surrounding area dark smokey grey. Then use pastels to make soot streaks radiating away from the blast. Don't use black pastels, or at least not exclusively. Black pastels don't look like blast marks, they just look like, well, black pastels. Mix some black, white, maybe a little tan and red. And don't try to keep it even. If it's a little darker on one side and lighter on the other, with a little color in the middle, that's all right. Also, it is easy to over do this. Keep the blast dark, in other words use a lot of pigment, because when you clear coat over it a lot of the color will fade. But don't make the blast marks too big, and don't make too many of them.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

If its the new Battlestar Galactica series Viper MkII then you don't need laser hits. New BSG series doesn't use directed energy weapons. Think kinetic energy weapons, rail guns etc. along with missles. OK the overall effect of the KE guns on a Raider is probably going to be similar to a laser strike but may have a deeper impact point etc.

But otherewise, yep pretty much as Badwrench says.

Also consider the material being hit. Is it a dull metal/composite that can absorb heat and take more damage, bright and shinny that reflects the energy away (less damage) or an ablative that may burn/spall and loose a wider area of surface material etc.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!