two part mold making, how do YOU do it?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

How do you make your two-part mold?

Lay it in clay?
100%
Hang it by wires?
No votes

Total votes: 11

Kenny

two part mold making, how do YOU do it?

Post by Kenny »

I'm keen to see how everyone else does it as I'm finding the two part molds quite a hand full and messy. Trying to get off the klean klay around the edges with out creating a gap for the second layer to penetrate is being a nightmare.

Also do you all lube the master before adding to the klay? Here's what I mean in the poll if I'm not klear enough (pun intended)

embeded
suspended
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

I embed my parts in clay. Still working on perfecting mold design though.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

I lay them in clay. Don't seem to have the problem getting the clay out of crevices.

How complex are the parts you're molding? More grooves and indentations will make it a bit more difficult

Atlantis
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There is, in my mind, only one way to make a proper 2 part mold and that is to clay it up. Yes, it takes some practice. Yes, it can be messy. But the results are superior to cut out method.

And, after a time, you'll be able to do more complex castings, three parters and more, when needed.
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph Osborn

Re: two part mold making, how do YOU do it?

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Kenny wrote:I'm keen to see how everyone else does it as I'm finding the two part molds quite a hand full and messy. Trying to get off the klean klay around the edges with out creating a gap for the second layer to penetrate is being a nightmare.
Two-part molds with a clayed-up parting line are normally much better. There is quite a learning curve, but once you get enough practical experience, you'll become more confident and the job will seem less like a chore. Okay, that last part was pure BS but at least you'll be more confident and get better results. Practice! You don't have to actually pour rubber. Just practice working the clay and establishing parting lines on different parts and practice taking the clay off. Nothing will substitute for actually doing the work and getting a feel for the process. Me personally, I'll try every way in the world to make a one-part mold before I make a two-part... 8-[