Putty/filler question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

slowthing

Putty/filler question

Post by slowthing »

Hi,

I've applied some sheet styrene to the sides of a piece (in ABS) I'm using for a scratch build, to cover a large hole that goes right through. This is new territory to me so I wanted to ask about the best way of applying putty/filler to the edges to produce a blended join to hide the 'lip/step' effect.

The putty's/filler I have to hand are: Milliput - Superfine white, Vallejo - 199 plastic filler, Tamiya - Light Curing Putty Scale and Squadron Green. Which would you recommend? I've ball's up many kits in the past at this stage due to differing material hardnesses, incorrect application, putty consistency, etc. This time I want to get it right, or at least benefit from the wisdom of you lot.

Thanks.
Last edited by slowthing on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd go with the TLCP (Tamiya Light Curing Putty) given it's simular hardness to styrene.

Glob on more than needed and sand to fit when cured.
Abolish Alliteration
slowthing

Post by slowthing »

Thanks, I'll give the LCP a go.

I notice that Tamiya USA have discontinued the light curing putty. Any ideas why?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That I couldn't tell you. Until I see a discontinued @ thier Japanese site I wouldn't worry.
Abolish Alliteration