Liquid glue - am I doing something wrong or what?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Sluis Van Shipyards

Liquid glue - am I doing something wrong or what?

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I got some Plastruct Bondene and I stick the pieces together and run some of the glue along the seam. It will look glued then it will eventually come apart. It looks like it's only glueing the edge I apply the glue to with a little on the sides. Am I doing something wrong? The glue is brand new.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Cant imagine you're doing anything wrong...
Unless you have some odd plastics that you are trying to scrap together.

Bondene should be good for ABS and Styrene... :|
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Plastruct do two solvents. One is water thin and usually comes in a can, the other usually comes in a bottle and is a tad thicker, best described as having the consistency of milk (but still clear). The former tends to penetrate joints better. Sounds like the glue isn't penetrating the joint. Also Plastruct's smaller size pipes are made from butyrate which doesn't solvent glue quite so easily although the bigger size grey tube are genuine ABS.

You know how a knife cut in plastic raises a little ridge either side of the cut line? Try putting some little knife snicks in the edge of your parts to raise them slightly and leave a gap for the glue to go into. Leave it a few seconds and then squeeeze them together. The solvent action will dissolve the high spots and restore the fit.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

Okay I'll try that. I was gluing styrene to styrene so I wasn't trying to bond two different types of plastics.