Lighting the Yamato - help for the electronically challenged

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

CSLemke

Lighting the Yamato - help for the electronically challenged

Post by CSLemke »

Ok, I’ll admit it…I’ve read the stuff on LEDs and my Secret Santa sent me a great book last year on lighting…but I am still lost.

Being a bit dyslexic it’s very easy for me to get confused on all these wiring diagrams.

I’m planning or working on my “big project” at the start of the New Year; my 1/500 Space Battleship Yamato.

My plan is laid out here:
Yamato Lighting Plan

What I want to do is this:
Lights:
A: Wave motion cannon I would like this light to “fade” from red to orange and back to red in a slow glowing “pulse”

B: Interior lights, constant yellow glowing lights

C: Engine lights, constant red glowing lights.

D: Seed lights ultra-tiny running lights and targeting lights for the antenna and cannon (I don’t know if this is even possible)

E: Launch by light, soft glowing red light must illuminate a small “room” in the hull of the ship.

What I need is some help, basically step by step instructions for the electronically stupid, I know how to solder…but the entire OHM stuff and the +> resistors etc… I just cant wrap my mind around. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks all!
Take my love. Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

shouldn't be to hard. For the wave cannon effects you mention someone that can program a micro controller is your best bet. This will also help if you want to turn off and on any of the other effects (blinking nav lights, targeting lights and the launch bay).

For the static effects plastic fiber optics should work for the antennas, with the appropriate colored LED a the bottom.

Madman or someone might chime in here to offer a cost on building something. Depends on how much kitting work will be involved. If you just get a controller on a board and the program installed it shouldn't be to costly. We can help with the wiring after that's been created.

BTW I couldn't look up your lighting plan, here at work the website is tagged as to naughty to look at, as is the SM store.
Last edited by Sparky on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
CSLemke

Post by CSLemke »

Ok this is a start. :D
Take my love. Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.