Wave 1/24 Nemo's Car Model Kit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; how to modify the kit?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

jpolacchi

Wave 1/24 Nemo's Car Model Kit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; how to modify the kit?

Post by jpolacchi »

I just purchased this car kit; Wave 1/24 Nemo's Car Model Kit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen eBay item number:126654105790. I don't have it in my possession yet, but the auction number is listed will show you what it is in case you don't? I don't usually build cars, but this one being a fiction/fantasy sort of "Steampunk" vehicle, I couldn't resist. This kit is EXTREMELY expensive. I was able to get ahold of a good seller and he was willing to make a deal on two kits (I picked up Nemo's 1/700 scale submarine from the film as well)

here is another link to the car/miniature and I think the full-scale prop also: https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/lot-de ... /lot/66723

I am considering modifying the kit to install an engine in it and detail out the engine compartment and place the car body onto a frame&chassi with a drive train, suspension and steering linkage. The kit is a nice atheistic piece, but it has none of those things. For a 1/24 scale kit, I think it builds pretty big. If I remember the article I read about the kit, it finishes at around or very close to 12" in length. My main problem is how do I separate the hood from the body of the car without butchering the body badly itself? It's all molded into once piece and I would need to find a way to free the hood from the body while not destroying the body or where all of the ornamental decorations attach to it.

If I can do that without destroying an irreplaceable kit, the rest is a kit bashers/scratch builder's dream. I've been looking at other 1/24 scale cars from the 1930's that are rather large and have a similar build/body length to them. There are a couple different Bugatti models, (one of which had a V12 but I don't recall which model?) and I'm looking at the 1930-1940 Cadillac V16. Also a very long body build and a V16 power plant. I think a V16 would be way better. I'd like to find a better made engine of that era than the kit parts because the engines are never that well made or detailed at 1/24th scales to my memory, but so far I have not been able to find anything like that as far as aftermarket parts or 3d prints go. I'm fairly confident that I can kit bash a frame and chassis together for the Nemo vehicle and give it something more than just a "pretty shell" to look at. I'm looking for any advice/suggestions or techniques about separating the hood from the body of the car without ruing the rest of the kit.
Last edited by jpolacchi on Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Baker

Re: Wave 1/24 Nemo's Car Model Kit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; how to modify the kit?

Post by Richard Baker »

How to separate the hood from the body depends on how the kit was produced- it may be solid resin in that area so aside from removing the hood section and vac-forming a replacement to show it hood up you may have to wait for the kit to arrive before making plans.

Assuming you can open up the engine bay for view- do NOT just drop an existing engine from another kit into it. This is the part of the build where you can have some real fun. Nemo would not build an engine like Detroit would- it would be an amazing steam punk contraption with pipes, baffles, fins and globes held in place with ornate framework. You could empty out your spares stash and have a lot of fun with this project- be sure to post pictures as you do this, I would love to see what you come up with!
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
jpolacchi

Re: Wave 1/24 Nemo's Car Model Kit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; how to modify the kit?

Post by jpolacchi »

It's a Japanese styrene/commercial kit, but the hood is molded into the body (one piece). The hard top is the only separate part from the body besides the ornamental parts (all the chrome pieces). Yes, I'll have a better idea when the kit arrives and can measure it and see what I can drop in the engine bay. Its goanna take a few weeks before it arrives as it is shipping from Japan. I have scrolled though and looked at pictures (and the instruction manual on scalemates). So...it would be a very difficult separation. I thought about modifying a #11 X-Acto blade (grinding it into a thinner scribing tool) and scribing around the seam line that outlines the hood. I might practice on a car body I don't care about to see how that goes? Yeah, I've been looking for Steampunk engines/motors. None I can find as aftermarket kits or 3d printed, so kit bashing might be the way to go, but I also still kinda want to see a nice, big turbo powered V16 in there.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Richard Baker wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:23 pm How to separate the hood from the body depends on how the kit was produced- it may be solid resin in that area so aside from removing the hood section and vac-forming a replacement to show it hood up you may have to wait for the kit to arrive before making plans.
I'd keep in mind that it's not a "steam" car. From an aesthetic pov, it's much more diesel punk than steampunk. That being said, I would agree this wouldn't have a standard engine. I would think you could look at some of the early racing engines or some of the massive (mostly experimental) aviation engines.
ImageNapier Sabre
https://motorarcade.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... gines.html has some interesting ones
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

Lucky! Those things are expensive! :shock: I had two of the submarines once, bought just shortly after the movie came out, though I then had to get rid of them years ago for 'monetary reasons.' Dang, I wish I still had one of those left.
Remember, always feed the right wolf.

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

You are looking at a big project!! Scribing the hood with a X-11 blade drawn from the backside works but go slow.....and you will have some oops to fill when done. Front suspension will be fun and complex! Engine....a V-16 would be fitting but something, as stated, more steam punk might be cool. Keep us informed.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Yeah, it'll be a project. It'll be just challenging getting the 1/24 Nemo car onto a chassis/frame and fitting in suspension and everything because the Wave kit is really more of an aesthetic piece with nothing inside it. I think I can do it with some existing 1/20, 1/24 and 1/25 scale cars. I got a 1/24 Bugatti and I'm trying to get a 1/24 or 1/25 1930-40 Cadillac V16. It has a long body just like the Wave kit and even if I have to extend that a little I think I can get it to work? I'm also looking into installing the 1/20 ELF F1 car front end/suspension, or some of it into the front end because it was a six-wheeled car. Problem is, I have been having trouble contacting Tamiya to buy the sprue section(s) needed. Their customer service isn't that good. I don't really want to buy a whole kit at EVIL :evil: Bay prices. That 1/20 scale kit is listed at very high prices. I am super neveous about separating the hood from the Wave kit. As far as engine's go, I've been unimpressed with the V16 parts that come with the Cadillac kits and I have't been able to really find anything I like even with the 3d prints. I don't want it to look like, "new/advanced. Something a little vintage. I' think I want to put a P-51D Mustang engine in it. I'm guessing at the scale to use. A 1/24 Air fix kit engine is too big, and I think a 1/48 kit engine will be too small, but I think a 1/32 scale might be the closest or the best size to use. Again, Tamiya not being the most user friendly. I'm hoping that will change? It was an expensive kit to buy, but compared to what the other sellers have both the car and submarine kit listed at, I got a a decent deal. Both the car and submarine kits are listed at between $350 to over $700 each. I got both kits at a combined price of under $600 w/free shipping not including the taxes. So a little over $600, but far better than dropping over a grand to get both kits.
Last edited by jpolacchi on Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I would suggest wandering through this site for a few hours to get an idea of what power systems could have been available http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Check the car modeler boards for cutting open doors and hoods. I use the scribing method, but some people saw them open with sewing thread. In the book, the Nautilus was electric powered with a bunch of solenoids! Maybe some 1/8, 1/12, 1/16 under the valve cover parts could look the part. There are a bunch on aliexpress and temu. I've always liked the 19th Century Keely motor fraud. Here's someone who is 3-D printing a similar behemoth from some superhero movie, which has some interesting details with more to come. He's barely started!
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/thre ... ild.14926/
Directly above the center of the Earth.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I have thank you for the link. When I have the kit and have a chance to really look at it, get some measurements I'll post pictures and I'll be inquiring in that forum about the best way to cut into a car body like that. I just want to be really sure I have a good idea what I'm doing and to inflict as little damage as possible. Hopefully none at all.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Kylwell,

Thanks!

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm

Is one of the best sites ever.