Leading Edges for Wings

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

Leading Edges for Wings

Post by Treadhead »

I'm building wings for a spacecraft -- I'm making these out of styrene. I'm dithering on whether to use styrene sanded to shape or A + B Putty to make the leading edges.

Any ideas?
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Generally I find it easier to work the styrene - if your wing is already styrene. It's very uniform, and resiliant to boot. Go slow, wet-sand, and maybe make some contour guides. Or glue sanpaper to the contour guide so you have a perfect shape...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

One of the ideas I have thought about but haven't tried yet is to use the half-round strips available from Evergreen attached to the wings and then sand off excess. Of course, this would not be practical if the wing is quite thinck as for large projects.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

i was recently(ok, so it was ...a year ago... wow...) building a sorta plane like model with stubby wings. i basically ended up using thin styrene bent around a frame for the leading edges, while i puttied the ends to give them an apropriate shape.

this pic is far from final, but give a fair approximation of the effect.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/A ... ship09.jpg
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

ok but what do you do if you're dealiing with really thin wings?
When life gives you lemons, don't despair. no one gives me lemons
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Spacephrawg wrote:ok but what do you do if you're dealiing with really thin wings?
This, I did just last week. I had the upper part of the wing which was essentially a .08 thick piece of styrene. What I did was roll the leading edge (which at that point was square) over a piece of sandpaper. You basically drag the piece over the paper while rolling it forward at the same time. I got a pretty nice rounding on it.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Slide

Post by Slide »

are you worried about an airfoil shape to the entire wing? or just leading edges?

the half-round idea is a good one, so is the rolling/sanding method.

if you're looking for an airfoil countour, nothing for it but alot of patient sanding.
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave