ELO (Easy Lift Off)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CaptainHawk1

ELO (Easy Lift Off)

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

I never hear of this product mentioned. I've used it before to remove paint and I've had stellar results. The only issue I've had is that you have to be careful because it can take off detail off of styrene. Has anyone else used this product?

-Shawn :smoke:
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Use it, love it... You need to clean off the residue with Plastic Prep afterwards, or paint won't stick.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Castrol Super Clean has always been my big gun for stripping paint, but I use ELO for very specific applications:

-when I can't immerse/submerge the entire part I use ELO. That's its' greatest strength- being able to brush it on to specific areas

-when CSC doesn't work. CSC didn't make a dent in those Revell ROTS Easy-Kits when I tried to strip them. But ELO made a bigger dent on the pre-painted finish than CSC did.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

admiralcag wrote:Use it, love it... You need to clean off the residue with Plastic Prep afterwards, or paint won't stick.

Vern
Actually, I've using simple hand or dish washing soap and water and it cleans the residue off perfectly!

-Shawn :smoke:
Matthew Usher

Post by Matthew Usher »

I've used it for years, particularly to strip gloss paint from car bodies.

I don't use it that much anymore, though, since the fumes are really strong.

I use Castrol Super Clean. It's available at auto-parts stores and big-box stores. It's a degreaser, and it's available by the gallon. I pour it into a plastic storage container and dunk the parts. Usually after an overnight soak all the paint comes loose. It can be used several times, too.

Matt Usher @ FineScale Modeler