makeing a custom canopy

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kalhen cain

makeing a custom canopy

Post by kalhen cain »

hello all.
i am doing a kit bash and creating a custom cockpit and need some ideas for making the canopy. i want it to be clear so you can see the intereior but am not sure how to do it.
any ideas would be great.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

First make a master for the canopy, a buck. You can make it out of anything, balsa works fine, or putty, sculpted to shape. Then get some PETG clear plastic. You can get this at the hobby shop, in the same place where they sell Evergreen and Plastruct stock. But I've also heard of people using old blister packaging, if you can find a piece large enough, or even 2 liter pop bottles for this. Whatever you use, the method is the same. Heat the plastic up by holding it over the stove until it starts to sag, then pull it over the buck. You may have to try several pulls before you get one that suits you, but it's quick, easy and cheap. Trim the canopy to shape with a knife and you're all set.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

This video shows what Mr Badwrench is describing, shows a guy doing one.

It happens at 2:20 in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZQpUNJ ... ed&search=
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have used blister packs for this. It's tricky, and the thicker ones work best. Be prepared to throw several away before you get the hang of thermoforming.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati