Alinging lugs on multi-part masters

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lsutehall

Alinging lugs on multi-part masters

Post by Lsutehall »

Does anyone have a good method of creating aligning lugs and holes for fitting parts together on a multi-part master?

I can't seem to find any information about creating an actual master on the internet at all - only about moulding and casting it. Any help on aligning parts etc would be appreciated.
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

It really depends on the shape of the two parts to be mated. One method is to glue a pin into one half, made of styrene rod, or brass rod or a piece of coat hanger, or who cares as long as it resembles a pin- Then drill an oversize hole into the mating part, and fill it with putty. Grease the pin up, or cover it with something the putty won't stick to, then stick the two parts together. When the putty cures, you should be able to pull the two parts apart, and the pin and socket should fit together perfectly.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

I've seen it done where you pour the one half of the mold and use the eraser end of a pencil to poke holes in it. Those are your alignment holes. After the one half has cured, making the other half naturally makes the pins, because the second RTV pour will go in those holes. No need to measure to figure out where they'll be or if they're the right size.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan