tinting clear parts

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Paul Stephens

tinting clear parts

Post by Paul Stephens »

I'm building the Ma.k AFS mk1 and I want to tint the helmet faceplate. I added some black MM acryl to some Mop and Glow ''I use instead of future''. well anyway it made some streaks and when I very lightly blotted the pool that formed it sucked some of the solution of the piece, What am I doin wrong?????
"If your still alive it's because Jack Bauer hasnt killed you yet"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What you need to do is use ink instead of paint. Even food coloring can work. The paint is opaque, or at least mostly opaque, and when mixed with a clear just distributes it a bit, leaving uneven color. But inks tend to be transparent, with the exception of india ink or some of the other brands that advertise being opaque, and will tint instead of color.

Or bypass it all and get some Tamiya Smoke.
Abolish Alliteration
Paul Stephens

Post by Paul Stephens »

I'll give that a try. if that dosnt work for me i'll just paint the thing black ''blast shield''
"If your still alive it's because Jack Bauer hasnt killed you yet"
blackfly911

Post by blackfly911 »

I second the food coloring and Future routine.

I've used it for a few kits and may aircraft modelers use that combo (future and yellow food coloring) to archive the yellow tinted reflective canopy of some aircraft.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

India inks are just dye, no pigment. They mix with Future and once you start working with them, you'll make some extraordinary models.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati