Reverse wash technique

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

GameraBaenre

Reverse wash technique

Post by GameraBaenre »

This is for painting raised details without having to resort to the tedious task of masking or relying on hand painting. Hopefully you guys find some use in this:

http://gamerabaenre.com/reverse_wash.htm
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've done similar, just used several heavy coats of ivory black oil paint over Future sealed Alclad. Let the oils dry for a few hours (many hours) and then gently wiped/buffed away the excess on top.

I'll have to give yours a try, looks to be a bit less delicate.
Abolish Alliteration
eeun

Post by eeun »

Sweet. I suppose you could use the same technique with any two dissimilar paints (acrylic over enamel/alkyd).

Reminds me of antiquing method my mom used during the big home-ceramics craft thing in the 70s. She painted up the whatever-it-was-this-week, had it fired, then used black or brown enamels or oils overtop and buffed it out with turpentine.

Funny that a clever and "would never have though of it myself" useful modeling technique was being used by a bunch of old ladies 30 years ago :D
World's Tallest Jawa!
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I like the look of the results.

I imagine you could also use a clear lacquer sealer to prep non-lacquer base color(s) for this.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle