ATTN! the forum IS broken - NEEDS FIX

Just what it implies.
Zubie

ATTN! the forum IS broken - NEEDS FIX

Post by Zubie »

John P wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:01 am But he didn't like it THREE times! :O
;)
Context: John replied this because somebody posted 3 times that they didn't care for "1941", but I think it really is a forum issue.

The forum has been fairly flaky lately giving me 500 level codes or server time outs. Several times now, it has complained SQL errors when I submit replies and then if I hadn't been eagle eyed enough to notice, it has posted my reply in spite of spiting me back to the editor page setting me up for a double post.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './o7f2b2r3_talk/phpbb_user_notifications' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
I know that general login and server timeouts have happened from time to time as well as double posting errors have happened from time to time, but it seems know that these have been happening with a certain amount of regularity lately to me at least. I suspect it isn't just me.

As a side note I noticed that I didn't get several "new" posting notifications today - even on some quoted replies - curiouser and curiouser....It just did it AGAIN.
Last edited by Zubie on Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Richard Baker

Re: Forum extra glitchy of late?

Post by Richard Baker »

I believe it was my comment about 1941 and it was a system glitch of some kind- I hit post and it resulted in an error code and did not post. When it did finally post I saw only one.

Be it either on my tablet (droid 14) or computer (Win 11) about a quarter of time either the pages do not load or they load the main page then fail in loading the sub directory - and in this case to not allow a post.

Most of the time I just give up and move on but I do hope it gets fixed soon
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './o7f2b2r3_talk/phpbb_user_notifications' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: onezero@starshipmodeler.net

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Apparently when you post and get that error message if you save as draft then go back to the last page you will find it did post, this happened twice to me just now

Deviant Art Gallery-
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Richard Baker wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:55 pm Apparently when you post and get that error message if you save as draft then go back to the last page you will find it did post, this happened twice to me just now
Hmm, interesting. Will remember that.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
southwestforests

Hehe! Exactly that just happened with that post! :D

EDIT: and this one too.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
WraithVerge

Post by WraithVerge »

Same thing here; just tried to post in another section and that happened to me. >_>
John P

Post by John P »

The main thing I notice is that the board often takes many minutes to open a forum or a thread after I click. So long that I'll sometimes move on to another activity and come back to it later.
The unknown is only unknown until you know it. Ya know?
John P

Post by John P »

Got that SQL error when I posted the above. :/

EDIT: every time now.
The unknown is only unknown until you know it. Ya know?
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

John P wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:58 am The main thing I notice is that the board often takes many minutes to open a forum or a thread after I click. So long that I'll sometimes move on to another activity and come back to it later.
That's what I meant by server time outs. Sometimes if I load the homepage separately on another tab, the waiting tab will finally load. Sometimes the page just loads a "server took too long to respond" error.

I'm definitely not getting notifications on threads I'm following (such as this one)

And the posting errors is pretty much the norm...as I expect with this one. So I'm just assuming that things post, and backing out of the edit page (with a quick Cntrl-C on the content just in case it didn't post, I don't loose the text...particularly on long posts...which I'm prone to ;)
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

John P wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:58 am The main thing I notice is that the board often takes many minutes to open a forum or a thread after I click. So long that I'll sometimes move on to another activity and come back to it later.
I've been having that very same problem off and on for months now, I thought it was my laptop. What I'll do is click the refresh button a few times.
Normal?? What is normal??
southwestforests

Zubie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:48 amSometimes the page just loads a "server took too long to respond" error.
I'm definitely not getting notifications on threads I'm following (such as this one)
Same here for several weeks now on the loading problem; sometimes it will and sometimes it won't.
Several days now on the notification issue.
southwestforests

John P wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:58 amSo long that I'll sometimes move on to another activity and come back to it later.
Yep, another activity such as painting with oil-based enamel and allowing it to cure.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Went and clicked the submit button last night and got the error page and I noticed in the upper right hand corner in very small blue lettering some kind of message and when I clicked on it it took me to the index page and I saw my post had been posted. Not sure if anyone else has seen it but I thought I'd let you all know.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I am glitching too and it doesn't show notifications for forums I posted in.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I just posted, got an SQL error, clicked on the 'Return to index' page in the upper corner, saw my posting in this forum.

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any quote notifications. Either a glitch or, people are ignoring me... :(

No, must be a glitch! :D
Remember, always feed the right wolf.

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

No, we're ignoring you!

Yes it is a glitch. I'm not getting notifications either.

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Wug

Post by Wug »

Happens to me too.
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

EVApodman wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:27 pm No, we're ignoring you!

Yes it is a glitch. I'm not getting notifications either.
I knew it! My paranoia is always right!
Remember, always feed the right wolf.

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

since I haven't seen onezero respond I sent a pm. Funny thing - got the SQL error there as well so I just hope it posted properly. Whatever this is it does seem tied to the "submit" button. I can preview just fine.

Naoto had a pretty informative response, but on the wrong thread
naoto wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:59 pm I'm guessing the glitching could be from the result of:
* nearing or exceed storage capacity -- i.e. there might not be sufficient free disk space for operation to complete
* database may have ballooned in size. Perhaps a "shrink" may need to be performed on the data or the update logs. Deleting a record in database often tags the space occupied by the deleted record is tagged as "unused" -- but a "pack" (where unused portions of the database is physically removed) may not automatically be performed. On a similar note every time something is changed the database information about the change is stored in the update log (this information can be used to "roll back" an update) -- this can result in the log growing in size over time (until you perform a commit -- which typically tags the log entries as no longer needed). Typically running a backup will initiate a commit -- which will later allow you to shrink the logs.
* there could be a physical problem with the storage on the hosting server (i.e. harddisk or SSD could be failing) -- one of those things that's unavoidable as the equipment gets older.
I hate to think that the hosting server service is suffering from a kind of business ending problem. Facebook and instagram are not the same thing.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Hope it's not the result of hackers.
FALLINGSTAR

Post by FALLINGSTAR »

I thought it was my computer [ which isn't exactly brilliant ] but I've had the same thing too.
FALLINGSTAR

Post by FALLINGSTAR »

Just had this message -

thGeneral Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: onezero@starshipmodeler.netou
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Could somebody post this forum glitch stuff on Facebook somehow. I tried e-mailing onezero and got a "550 No Such User Here" error on the address. I can't. Facebook insists I prove who I am before it lets me back in, and how you do that seems more trouble than it's worth :-k

I mean maybe it just needs to be turned off and on again
southwestforests

Zubie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:58 pmFacebook insists I prove who I am before it lets me back in, and how you do that seems more trouble than it's worth :-k
That brings to mind 2015 where a couple weeks after FB locked me out I realized how much less general stress there was now in life.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Could it be that this is just an outdated version of phpBB?

I can't seem to find a definitive version number running, but the FAQ refers to running version as 2.X. The current version sb 3.3.x.
Then again, it could just be that the FAQ's text hasn't been updated :-k

Other than that I can only think it's the actual host. It's been flaky for some time rate for some time with occasionally long hang times and time outs on submits and fetch. From what little I can gather the software can be sensitive to delayed response times due to anti-spam software running in the bg.

I'm not admin and don't know exactly who is hosting this. Given that I don't know which exact version is running it's hard to check the BB software's support forum. The forum for 2.x has been locked since 2009. Similar sounding issues that I did find seem to point back to the hosting service for the most part, anti-spam work arounds, and time-out settings. The actual message returns though do seem to point to issues in database updates on post.
FALLINGSTAR

Post by FALLINGSTAR »

I'm still getting the same error message but at the moment it does seem to post my forum message. I don't think I've seen any of the mods on here for a long time though.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

FALLINGSTAR wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:48 pm I'm still getting the same error message but at the moment it does seem to post my forum message. I don't think I've seen any of the mods on here for a long time though.
It is making it kind of annoying to post anything. I mean you either have to back up a couple of pages to get past the post or edit page, which is trickier if one has been doing preview then post, or just open up a new tab on the forum and kill the error message!

The facebook pages are getting more hits than the forum nowadays, but I really can't get on facebook due to my ID issues. Has anybody mentioned the forum is broken there? It's been over a month since the last site admin has been shown as active on the forum.
Gaetan

Post by Gaetan »

Hello,

The Facebook page is also down for me. I had to re-inscribed at the end of May, since I had no access anymore. I was given access for a couple of weeks and ..... down again :( :( :(

Gaetan
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GOooo.......